Do I have a bad outlet receptacle?

Old 07-10-13, 01:29 PM
Question Do I have a bad outlet receptacle?

I have a regular receptacle with the 2 outlets to plug things in. In one outlet I have a surge protector that has our TV and Cable box and Xbox and an Xbox controller charger plugged into it, the other outlet I have a small fan plugged in. Whenever I turn off the fan it makes my TV flicker off and on. It doesn't effect the cable box or the Xbox or charger. Why is it only effecting the TV and why is it doing that? Is this dangerous? Should I not use the side of the outlet where I plug in the fan anymore?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-13, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
It's electric noise probably created by the switch on the fan. When you flip the switch to turn the fan on or off there is a brief period where the contacts are close enough together for the electricity to arc which sends noise down the wires. It has nothing to do with your outlet and is generally not harmful.

Why some devices are affected by this noise has to do with their internal power supply and how well it's filtered but most likely you notice it on the TV because you can see it there. It could be affecting the cable and game box as well but they both display through the TV.