Will a 48A Max Current Draw ever trip a 50A Circuit?

Old 07-12-13, 01:22 PM

I had a 50 Amp GFCI 240 Volt line (4 wires) run to a disconnect box outside for a new hot tub. I did this in advance of ordering the hot tub but found out later the particular hot tub model I ordered has a 48 Amp Max Current Draw and is recommended to have a 60 Amp GFCI circuit. My questions are:

(1) Is the recommended 60 Amp circuit really needed or is it reasonable to assume that the hot tub will not go above the published max current draw?

(2) I have a building permit, but it requires an electrical inspection. Will my setup cause problem with the inspection?

Oh- I asked my electrician if the line run could handle a 60 Amp circuit and he said no, that the line run can only handle a 50 Amp circuit. He didn't say what gage was used and I cant tell by looking.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-13, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
There is a time factor with breaker. The longer a breaker passes a near full load current the more likely it will trip as it warms up.

Oh- I asked my electrician if the line run could handle a 60 Amp circuit and he said no, that the line run can only handle a 50 Amp circuit.
50a and 60a circuitss normally use the same size wire, #6, so I would certainly suggest you check the wire size. Sound like it may have not even been suitable for 50a. Since I am now suspicious of the installation I must ask does any part of the line run outside and if so did the electrician use cable? If the disconnect is on a wall of the house that is fine but beyond the wall of the house it must have an insulated ground. Something cable doesn't have.

Old 07-12-13, 03:05 PM
No, not a hot tub. 125% of the largest motor amps is built into the formula to get 48A. After motor inrush the tub will never pull more than 45A, and that's only one leg. The other leg will probably never pull more than 35A. And that's for how long, with everything on, two or three hours tops? Forget it.
(2) I have a building permit, but it requires an electrical inspection. Will my setup cause problem with the inspection?
You can be flunked for not following the instructions. But if the instructions word it as just a recommendation, it shouldn't be enforceable. Keep your mouth shut, play dumb, lose the instructions and cross your fingers.
He didn't say what gage was used and I cant tell by looking.
if cable, it's written on the outer jacket, like "6/3 with ground." If individual wires in pipe, it's written on the wires, like "AWG 8."

Old 07-15-13, 05:43 AM
Thanks! I think I may ride it out with the 50 AMP circuit and deal with it if I have real-world problems with the circuit tripping. I hope what you said Glennsparky about the 125% is true in this case! THanks again.