Just like a GFCI circuit only different

Old 07-13-13, 11:28 AM
Question Just like a GFCI circuit only different

I have a dehumidifier located remotely from the condensation pump. I would like to automatically disable the outlet from which the dehumidifier gets electricity in the event the condensation pump overflows.
The condensation pump has a standard moisture detector, with a 2 wire connector, which is intended to be used in HVAC situations. It can be configured to turn off a thermostat (break the circuit) or set off an alarm (complete the circuit).
Does anyone know of a switch which will allow me to disable this outlet in the event moisture is detected? I know that there are hot water heater shutoffs which shut down the water supply and the power, but I don't want the water supply side of the switch.
Alternately is there any way to use the moisture detector switch to trip a GFCI circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-13, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

There is no safe way to trip a GFCI as you propose.

However, there is flood sensor switches out there that might do what you are looking for. Is your dehumidifier a standard one as a stand alone unit? Or does it have a remote aquastat that runs it?

Old 07-13-13, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
If you're handy you could build something fairly easy. You would use a switching module like which is in the link below. You would mount this module to a 1900 (4") square box. You would bring power into the box. You would install a receptacle on a 1900 (4") plate. All the 120v connections stay inside the box. Two of the wires from the module would go directly to the float switch in the pump. The wires that connect to the float switch are low voltage.

This setup may run you about 50.00 If interested post back with any questions.

BZ-150 Universal Voltage Power Pack

Old 07-13-13, 12:24 PM
Yes, it is a standard, stand alone, high efficiency unit. The only control is a humidistat mounted on the unit.

The flood sensor switch is integral to the condensation pump. What I need is to turn off an outlet in the event the switch is tripped.

Thanks for you feedback.

Old 07-13-13, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
The issue you have is you want to control a 120 volt device (outlet) but the wires off the condensation pump are likely only rated for low voltage. (24v)

As PJ max said, you could make one fairly easily, but it would require a 24 volt power source and a relay.

Here is one I found: Solatel: Flood Detector Right concept, poor price. :shock:

Old 07-14-13, 07:56 AM
Thanks for this PJmax. I'll do a little checking it out before I even know whether I know enough to ask an intelligent question. - but - I'll probably be back.

Old 07-14-13, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
The Furman piece has it's own 12v power supply so it would work ok. Completely self contained.
The Agrowtek unit would require a 24vdc power supply.

Old 07-15-13, 06:53 AM
The Watt Stopper device PJmax linked also has its own 24V supply. With its snap-in knock-out mount it can be added to any existing enclosure or dropped inside a dedicated one. They're so handy & inexpensive (eBay and Amazon) I bought one "just in case".
Of course by the time I have that ideal need for it--I'll have forgotten where it is

Old 08-08-13, 12:55 PM
Thanks for this, PJMax and guy! I finally got around to finishing my project and the Watt Stopper did fine. I now automatically shut off my dehumidifier if and when my condensation pump is getting ready to overflow. I had to wait a bit for delivery, but found a leftover someone had on the internet and bought it for $28.00. It now controls 2 outlets on a 4 gang box. Since my dehumidifier is 40 ft away behind a cinderblock wall, I used the 2nd outlet with a $1 LED nightlight to show me that everything is powered up.

I'd buy another one too, except I'd not only forget where it is, I'd forget what it is.

I had a lot of fun learning about relays and the near endless variety of possibilities this silly device can handle. I think they are understating badly when they simply call it a occupancy senesor.