Kitchen receptacles

Old 07-14-13, 09:04 AM
Kitchen receptacles

I'm down to the final room of a house I'm building...the kitchen. I have all the the wiring in place and drywall completed. Along the counter I have two 20 amp GFCI circuits with a total of eight receptacles. I'm debating about what to buy for the receptacles. Would you recommend 20 amp vs the 15 amp?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-13, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
Buy a GOOD grade of 15 amp receptacles. Stay with a name brand.
The cheapies don't hold up for kitchen duty.

Old 07-14-13, 11:11 AM
As with most things in life, "You get what you pay for". Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-14-13, 12:59 PM
I don't care for the Cooper devices from Lowes. I think I'd use 15A Leviton devices. Good balance between quality and price. You can probably find something like this at Home Depot or Butler Supply.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Old 07-14-13, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Whatever you do, do not install 20 amp devices (unless you are in Canada) Nothing screams to me "Homeowner did this" more than 20 amp devices in a home. 20 amp devices are not required.

Old 07-14-13, 06:01 PM
I went with Leviton for all of my switches, outlets and GFCI's. On the same wavelength with you on the quality factor. I have a Home Depot about five minutes from my house plus I like the 10% Military Discount.

Old 07-14-13, 06:06 PM
20 amp seems to be a bit of overkill. Haven't seen any small appliances with a 20 amp plug.

Old 07-14-13, 07:49 PM
what's wrong with the coopers from lowes?

Old 07-15-13, 07:22 AM
what's wrong with the coopers from lowes?
Just personal preference, they are OK. I dislike their switches more than receptacles. Their switches aren't real smooth and seem to work hard.

Old 07-15-13, 10:49 AM
It's been a while since I've bought a Cooper product at Lowe's so I stopped in and bought an outlet for a side-by-side comparison. Needless to say Leviton is far better quality. A comparably priced Leviton outlet is packaged and not loosely thrown in a box like the Cooper brand (not scratched up). I didn't care for the self-grounding feature of the Cooper receptacle at the mounting screw (a piece of wire vs a brass plate). The biggest feature I didn't care for was the words "Made in China". The Leviton..."Made in USA". Not too sure of the Seymour Pass brand. I believe Menard's handles them. Possibly "Casual Joe" might have some input on that brand.

Last edited by Bobd67; 07-15-13 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
My favorite is Pass and Seymour. Menard's does carry them as well as our supply house. They are good quality and I like the finish the best.

Old 07-15-13, 03:16 PM
Yep, Pass and Seymour is pretty good stuff, but maybe slightly more expensive; you'd have to compare prices to see for sure. I know Menard's handles them, but not sure exactly which supply houses do although I know they are available. Graybar might. If you are talking no more than a dozen or so devices, any difference in price is negligible and not an issue. I have been satisfied with Leviton products in most applications, but sometimes a spec calls out a particular brand and must be followed. Hubbell is another good brand, but definitely more expensive.

The biggest feature I didn't care for was the words "Made in China".
With that I definitely agree and I didn't even realize Cooper devices were being made there. I tend to avoid all Made in China merchandise whenever possible, but sometimes it's pretty hard to even find Made in USA items. Try finding a fluorescent ballast Made in USA these days, you'll look for a long time.

Old 07-16-13, 06:59 AM
I too was surprised to see the Cooper receptacles are "Made in China". I hope Leviton never follows their lead. Although, from what I read most all brands of the GFCI's are made by the Chinese. The exception might be the Hospital grade. Several years back my brother gave me some 8' fluorescent fixtures left over from a job. I was surprised to see the "Made in the USA" on the label. They were a nice addition to my pole barn.