Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Moving breakers - Need to add tandem braker to free up space.

Old 07-14-13, 11:33 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need to add a tandem 15amp breaker to free up space. There is a space free in the 29th slot. I want to put the tandem there and move two 15 amps from the left over to it.

Do I have to move the neutrals to the other side as well, or is it a common bus? What is best practice?

I have a Square D HOMC30UC

Old 07-14-13, 12:24 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Are you sure your box is rated for tandems? Usually if rated for tandems there is a double number. One for max full size breaker and one with tandems. See: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...h-panel.html#b

Old 07-14-13, 01:03 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The catalog number you posted is for the cover/door. Look inside the panel box and try to find the panel catalog number.

Old 07-14-13, 01:27 PM
That seems to be a cover for a 30SP load center. Do you see that in the box?

Old 07-14-13, 02:43 PM
A
The top ten slots can take tandem breakers. The inside panel says 30 slots 40 circuits max (something to that effect). I looked it up.

I talked to the kid at home depot who seems to know what he is talking about. Although enthusiasm is often mistaken for knowledge; however, he said I didn't need to shuffle breakers around, just take the two 20 at the top and make them tandem, and then put my 40 in. It doesn't matter what's on the right or left, the bus is the same.

Does that sound right?

I often go overboard with things and I think this is one of those cases. I want the number to balance out, but ultimately, it doesn't matter.

He also said my box is REALLY neat, so kudos to the installing electrician.

Old 07-14-13, 02:52 PM
A
I put the tandem in and it snapped right in. I turned off the two breakers I need to removed, used a tester to verify there was no current, removed the wires and connected them to the tandem. Everything went well. I put in the 240 40amp breaker and now I am wiring up the sub panel.

Old 07-14-13, 04:17 PM
Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

Old 07-14-13, 05:23 PM
A
Not everything. I apparently wired the switch wrong, off is on and on is off. Easy fix.

Old 07-15-13, 07:06 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I talked to the kid at home depot who seems to know what he is talking about. Although enthusiasm is often mistaken for knowledge
Many times we tend to condemn advice given in the big box stores probably because we have heard so many stories of bad advice. That being said, the big box stores sometimes do employ people who really do know what they are talking about. The challenge for the DIYer is to determine which employees actually do know what they are talking about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: