What's acceptable to bring wires through lap siding?

Old 07-15-13, 09:51 AM
What's acceptable to bring wires through lap siding?

Over the years I've seen wires for outside receptacles, porch lights, etc brought through wood siding done several different ways:
Leave the box in the stud bay & bring wire tails out through a hole in the siding, screwing the fixture to the wood itself.
Install box extension sleeves so the wood is "lined" with steel.
Rip out the old box (if possible) & install new (usually plastic) boxes in the siding (but sometimes the clamps won't grab thick wood siding).
Leave the old box, bring the wires through a hole & mount aluminum surface boxes (yuck).

Is there more than one way to do this so it's to code?

Extra credit--What do installers do with vinyl siding over 2" (or more) foam to get a solid mount for fixtures & sillcocks?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-13, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Leave the box in the stud bay & bring wire tails out through a hole in the siding, screwing the fixture to the wood itself.
Not to code.

Install box extension sleeves so the wood is "lined" with steel.
Code acceptable.

Rip out the old box (if possible) & install new (usually plastic) boxes in the siding (but sometimes the clamps won't grab thick wood siding).
Better to use metal cut-in gem and screws thru the ears to the wood.

Leave the old box, bring the wires through a hole & mount aluminum surface boxes (yuck).
Not to code.

Personally I remove the old box, if possible, and install new box in the new wood siding. I don't allow the carpenters to cut my boxes in. I leave a tail that they run thru a hole and I cut my own.

For thicker siding.....use longer screws.

Old 07-15-13, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at the siding boxes from Arlington.

Aifittings.com

Old 07-15-13, 09:23 PM
Fortsner bit and use a pancake box, otherwise use a siding box from Arlington. Where I need to attach stuff like a photocell, I'll put a cut-in box inside and run 12/2 or 12/3 outside and use a surface box mounted to a siding plate painted to match.

Old 07-16-13, 09:59 AM
I'm trying to picture what you mean. Bore a hole large enough to surround the 4" round box? Screw down over the old box?

I have an follow-up question about the code-acceptable box extension sleeve. Is it OK then to screw the fixture or receptacle directly to the wood siding--the important thing being that the wires are contained "inside" the steel box?