Pool timer pre- or post pool breaker box.??

Old 07-16-13, 09:32 AM
Pool timer pre- or post pool breaker box.??

Current setup is: From main panel in basement, through wall to outside pool breaker box. From there 220V to pump and heater. 110V to pool lights and a couple of 110V outlets.

I would like to place my salt chlorinator control module (220 or 110V) in basement (protected from elements) and also place timer to control pump & chlorine generator control module (preferably also in basement protected from elements)

My question is it best to place timer pre (in basement) or post (outside) pool breaker box?

If placed pre breaker box, , do I need to pull separate 110V circuit from main panel to bypass timer??
If I recall correctly, there are 2 hot wires (?blue), white and green running from main panel to pool breaker box.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-13, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Post moved to Electric Forum because it is an electrical question.

The timer needs to be at the equipment so the timer controls only the equipment that needs to be timed. You may need power for other things even when the timer is off.

If placed pre breaker box, , do I need to pull separate 110V circuit from main panel to bypass timer??
Code only permits one power source so you couldn't. That is a good example of why the subpanel should not be on the timer.

Tech note: You do not have 110/220 volts. You have 120/240 volts.

Old 07-17-13, 08:03 AM
I have a GE timer. If I place it post- breaker box to switch the pump / heater (240V) as it should be, is it possible to have the timer (clock) be supplied / powered by an unswitched 120V? (would like timer not switched off everytime I service the pool...backwash etc, or does the timer keep its time for a while despite being de-energized for a few minutes at a time?)

Old 07-17-13, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
(would like timer not switched off everytime I service the pool...backwash etc,
Something is wired wrong if you have to kill power to the subpanel to those things. The subpanel should be on a t all times. Anything connected to the subpanel that needs to be periodically shut off should have its own disconnect.

Old 07-17-13, 11:05 AM
Do you use the terms "Pool Breaker Box" and "subpanel" interchangebly?

The only switch after the Pool breaker box / subpanel, is a switch for the pool lights. When I backwash etc, I switch the pump off by throwing the dedicated "pump / heater" breaker to off. This was how the pool was wired by a licenced electrician, and inpected by the county twice.

Should there be a separate pump switch after the pool breaker box / subpanel for this purpose? If I recall correctly, my previous pool was wired the same way??

Old 07-17-13, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Do you use the terms "Pool Breaker Box" and "subpanel" interchangeably?
Yes. There should be nothing on the pump breaker but the pump so shutting off the pump breaker should not affect anything else. Post a picture of the breaker box with the cover off so we can be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Old 07-19-13, 02:49 PM
Here you go

From main panel to this breaker box. Double throw breaker on top controls pump and heater (240V). Next breaker is for pool lights, which has another switch after that. Bottom breaker controls a panel and garden outlets.

Attached Images   
Old 07-19-13, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't have put the pump and heater on the same breaker. I would suggest putting a disconnect (switch) at the pump if you can't use the timer to shut it off so you don't have to shut the breaker off. Does the heater already have a disconnect?

Old 07-19-13, 03:50 PM
Which kind of switch do you recommend. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-19-13, 05:21 PM
You need to separate the pump and the heater. Why can't the timer be in the basement and still control power coming from the pool subpanel, if that power is supplying appliances in the basement?

Are both the pump and the chlorinator the same voltage - either 120 or 240?