GFCI in basement - switched outlets

Old 07-17-13, 03:44 AM
GFCI in basement - switched outlets

Hi, I just installed several outlets in the basement. The wire first runs to a switch, then to a GFCI outlet, then to 6 more outlets. I added GFCI protection since it's an unfinished basement. However, now I realize that being on a switch, it will reset the GFCI every time the switch is turned off, so I need to fix this.

Can I run the wire from the breaker right to the GFCI first, then to the switch, then to the other outlets? If I do this, will the other outlets be GFCI-protected, and is there anything special I need to know to wire the switch? I'm using 12/2 w/ground wire on a 20 amp circuit.

Thanks,
Ross

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-13, 08:01 AM
Can I run the wire from the breaker right to the GFCI first, then to the switch, then to the other outlets? If I do this, will the other outlets be GFCI-protected, and is there anything special I need to know to wire the switch? I'm using 12/2 w/ground wire on a 20 amp circuit.
Yes, you can do it that way. Just be sure to observe the LINE and LOAD markings at the terminals and the rest of the circuit, including normal 15 amp duplex receptacles, will be GFCI protected. The switch wiring will remain the same, switch just the black wires and not the neutral.