weather resistant switch?

Old 07-18-13, 12:56 PM
weather resistant switch?

For outdoor wiring, I see "weather-resistant" outlets, including GFCI outlets, but no weather resistant toggle switches. Are there such switches, or what does one install? My house had a 2 gang box on a block wall outside with duplex outlets and a toggle light switch for flood lights. The outlets had a weather cover as did the switch. I replaced the outlets with a GFCI duplex outlet, and replaced the switch,and installed a big honking in-use weather cover. But now I think the GFCI and the switch should be rated weather resistant. Right?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-13, 01:05 PM
I think most exterior toggle switches use weatherproof covers, not weatherproof switches. I have one of the switch/covers below mounted outside that has worked fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15318[/ATTACH]
Greenfield Weatherproof Electrical Box Lever Switch Cover with Single Pole Switch - Gray-KDL1P at The Home Depot

Attached Images  
Old 07-18-13, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not an electrician but I always thought it was the cover that was weather proof and not the device. I've had the type of covers pictured above before but with mixed results, 1 always worked well but another one became stubborn over time - maybe corrosion. I've seen but not used covers with a flip up cover similar to exterior plug in receptacles which might be a better choice.

Old 07-18-13, 03:15 PM
You're right - they basically don't exist. Since your devices share a 2-gang box, you can't use the sealed toggle cover Steve suggested. The switch and the GFCI should be fine inside the "big honking in-use weather cover" that you installed.

Old 07-18-13, 04:52 PM
Not an electrician but I always thought it was the cover that was weather proof and not the device.
The 2008 NEC requires that standard non-locking straight-blade receptacles used in damp or wet locations in 120 and 250 volt configurations be listed weather resistant type. An in-use weatherproof cover is also required over the devices in wet locations. My opinion is that when these devices are used in a damp location, a weatherproof cover is required, but it doesn't have to be the in-use or bubble cover type.

To my knowledge, there are no weather resistant switches.