Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Lighting Connection with 3-way switch.. tried about everything

Lighting Connection with 3-way switch.. tried about everything

Old 07-18-13, 04:46 PM
Unhappy Lighting Connection with 3-way switch.. tried about everything

Good evening everyone...
i had a contractor come in and do the "rough" work on finishing my basement.. I had him do the framing and drywall and he was to run the wiring for me to make all the connections..

Here is where i'm stumped...

I've read about every page in my electrical book on how to wire these 7 can lights i have, but im poppin the breaker each time...

I've drawn a diagram of what i have... just to explain a bit about the layout...

top left is a light at the bottom of my stairs... the #2 3-way switch is right there.. then all 6 lights in the middle, going to #1 3-way switch (power in)

can someone explain whats going on here?

also i noticed at the end of my run (#2) theres another 2-wire coming down.. im not sure if he is expecting me to draw power from that switch or what.. can anyone make sense of this?

thanks in advance,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-13, 05:21 PM
First make sure that both black wires from the 2 conductors are connected to the black screw on the switches. Next make sure that the white conductors are connected straight through with wire nuts. The black and red of the 3 conductors can be placed wherever on the remaining screws. With that out of the way if you are still having issues you need to tell the type pf lights you are using and the wattage.

Old 07-18-13, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forums, Chris.

You don't show how the recessed lights are connected. If they're daisy-chained, as they should be, do this. In the box where the power comes in from the panel, splice the two white wires together. Terminate the black wire from the panel to the common (usually black) terminal on that 3-way switch. Terminate the red and black wires in the 3-conductor cable to the two (usually brass) traveler terminals on the switch. Connect the switch and the box (if it's metal) to ground, splice the grounds together, mount the switch and cover it.

In the other box, splice the two white wires together and terminate the black wire from the 2-conductor to the common terminal. Terminate the remaining black and red wires to the traveler terminals. Connect the switch and the box, if needed, to ground. Mount the switch and cover it.

Are the fixtures already wired? If not, just make them up color-to-color.

Old 07-18-13, 06:13 PM
Old 07-19-13, 01:39 PM
Glad you got it done, and thanks for showing us how it turned out!

Is this your home theater?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 07-19-13 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-20-13, 10:25 AM
A 3 way switch has 3 terminal screws. One screw is coated differently than the 2 other screws. Wire a hot to the odd colored screw on first switch. Run two wires, one from each of the other screws to the number two switch. Connect to the the same two colored screws, it doesn't matter which wire goes to these screws. Now the odd colored screw is where you connect the load wire to all six lights. The neutral goes directly from the panel to each of the six lights. The end result is that you are controlling all six lights from two switch positions.