Wiring A Light Switch

Old 02-15-01, 04:17 PM
Visiting Guest
How do I wire a light switch when the wire goes from the switch to one light and then continues on to another light?

Old 02-15-01, 04:55 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where is your source of circuit power, does it enter the switch box , or does it enter the light outlet box ? Are we taking of one switch controlling all the lights in question, or 2 3-way switches ?

If I have that information I can give a wire by wire instruction.

However should you already know how to wire one light, then just run wire cables between each light from the first light. The black wire that goes to the light socket of the 1st light also connects to the black wire going to the next light socket, the same with the white wire , the white wire going to the light socket of the first light also conencts to the white wire going to the next light, ground (bare) wires together and grounded to grounding screw of box. At each light box black wire to light socket (brass color screw or black wire) and to the black wire leading to the next light , the white wire to the light socket silver color screw (or white wire) and white wire leading to the next light, ground wires again grounded to the box, should the fixture have a grounding screw or green wire , that gets grounded also.

This is all assuming you know how to wire 1 light, otherwise I need answers to my questions first.

Old 02-15-01, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe W
How do I wire a light switch when the wire goes from the switch to one light and then continues on to another light?
The source of power is a junction box. A 12-2 cable with ground goes from the junction box to a single light switch which controls both lights. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-15-01, 08:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds easy then. dkerr already told you how. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: