30mp Service to an RV


Old 07-23-13, 03:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
30mp Service to an RV

I have permanently connected my RV to a small building and am using it as a cottage. The building has power and I want to connect the RV. One option is to install a 30 amp outlet and plug in the RV. Another is to connect the RV's power cord (minus the plug) directly to a single pole 30 amp breaker in the panel box. Is the latter a doable option? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-13, 04:04 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,968
Welcome to the forums! It is better, although you are using it permanently, to install a pedestal type 30 amp receptacle with cover so you can plug in your RV using the entire cord. You should not use the cord alone to run to the breaker panel.
Old 07-23-13, 04:35 PM
Nashkat1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 8,470
The power cord is not rated for use inside a panel or any other electrical box. You need to install the receptacle to plug it into.
Old 07-23-13, 06:19 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,361
I would not cut the cord end off.
Old 07-24-13, 08:01 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Thanks for the advice ... I will install a proper receptacle and plug the RV into it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes