switch wiring

Old 07-23-13, 06:16 PM
switch wiring

If I have a 20 amp light circuit switchlooped at a switch how would I tap in to add another light .such as under cabinet light for example-having its own switch built in .

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-13, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can't "tap" the switch because there is no neutral. You'll have to bring power to either your switch or to your lighting and then switch loop it.

Old 07-23-13, 07:07 PM
You also can't tap one of your countertop receptacles to power your under-cabinet lights. Is there a switch or receptacle on the other side of the wall you could get power from?

Otherwise, you can either run a new cable from the lights to the existing switch box or bring a new circuit from the panel.

Are you sure it's a switch loop? Are there only one black, white and bare wires in the switch box, with the white and the black connected to the switch?

Old 07-23-13, 07:51 PM
I'm not touching the 2 dedicated 20 for countertop,there is a light circuit over cabinets and continues to other lighting ,nothing else but lighting on circuit.. Black /white both on switch .

Old 07-23-13, 08:04 PM
Black /white both on switch.
Yep, that's a switch loop. This is one more example of why the recent requirement to have a neutral in every switch box is a good ides.

Would you rather replace the cable between the lights and the switch or tap something through the wall or pull a new circuit?

Old 07-23-13, 08:38 PM
Tap something I guess ,what options are there.I know it can't be dedicated circuits...I don't suppose you can link to another neutral (undedicated)off that hot can you?

Old 07-23-13, 08:51 PM
what options are there.I know it can't be dedicated circuits...I don't suppose you can link to another neutral (undedicated)off that hot can you?
No. I listed the options that I could think of earlier:
Originally Posted by Nashkat1
Would you rather replace the cable between the lights and the switch or tap something through the wall or pull a new circuit?
What would be the easiest for you to do?

Old 07-24-13, 09:06 PM
I guess I will junction off outlet in single bedroom,under home.unless the other light circuit has a neutral,which is very unlikely with the switch looped style I saw on a few switches.

Old 07-24-13, 10:11 PM
Whatever is the easiest way to pick up a complete circuit.