Dryer Outlet wiring...

Old 07-24-13, 11:30 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dryer Outlet wiring...

Hey guys!

I gutted and renovated my utility room and was finishing up the outlets and I noticed that my previous dryer outlet (3-wire) was wired as 2-hot legs and a ground. Now, generally, I have seen this as 2-hot legs (red & black) with a neutral (white) vs. a bare ground. Ultimately, the neutral is tied back to the ground bus at the panel so effectively, it's the same but I wonder if this is a code violation or perhaps, a bad way to wire?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!! I live in Virginia btw... and the new outlet is recessed into the wall... I noticed the discrepancy when looking at the wiring diagram for the new outlet....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15510[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-24-13, 11:47 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't recall seeing a cable with black, red and bare before. Also, the cable looks kinds fat to have just those three wires in it. Is there a white wire in it that's been cut short?

While it wouldn't be wired the same way today, it should work OK.

Old 07-24-13, 11:55 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much...

Yes, there is a white wire that was cut short, both here and at the panel... only the red/black and bare ground are wired at either end...

My gut said it was fine since I have lived here for 5 years, used my old dryer without an issues... just wanted to make sure since it will be closed up in the walls and pulling new wire would be hellish to do after....

I love this website, I have searched and found other topics but this was my first "need" for posting... glad this is here!

Old 07-24-13, 01:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You should use a 4-wire receptacle and convert the dryer to four wire. If you can get to the neutral it is okay to splice it. If this was an old work installation it may not be stapled. If so you may be able to pull a little mote cable. On the breaker box end you may be able to pull it and splice it in a junction box before the panel. You may also be able to put a splice box under the floor below the receptacle.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-24-13 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 07-24-13, 02:57 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Since the white wire is in the cable, you should definitely rescue it and use it, with Ray's excellent tips, to create a 4-wire circuit.

Old 07-24-13, 03:49 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Ultimately, the neutral is tied back to the ground bus at the panel so effectively, it's the same but I wonder if this is a code violation or perhaps, a bad way to wire?
Yes, it'll work, but I'd still call it a code violation. The bare ground wire in an NM cable has never been approved to be used as a current carrying neutral conductor, that's what the white wire is for. I'd also follow ray's suggestion.

Old 07-25-13, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Only the bare conductor in SE cable was allowed for usage as shown in the pic. Using the ground in NM cable was never correct. Someone did not have a clue when they wired that. Hopefully the is enough slack to allow you to salvage what is installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: