Outlet troubles

Old 07-24-13, 01:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outlet troubles

I recently replaced the old outlets in my living room that were 2 hole with no grounding plug hole to ones with. All the outlets work great except one that just so happens to be run off a switch. There is only 2 wires in the box for the outlet so that's a no brainier to wire up. Same with the switch outlet. When I first replaced everything it worked for about 10 seconds then quit. Not sure what is going on. It is the only outlet not working. Any suggestions

Old 07-24-13, 01:42 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I recently replaced the old outlets in my living room that were 2 hole with no grounding plug hole to ones with.
A serious code violation that must be corrected if you did not provide a ground.

it worked for about 10 seconds then quit.
If you backstabbed any connections move them to the screws. Note if there is no ground this receptacle must be replaced with a ungrounded receptacle or a GFCI receptacle. If you replace it with a GFCI the connections are back wired not backstabbed and that is acceptable because they are held by a pressure plate not a small spring finger.

Old 07-24-13, 02:53 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I didn't realize that. I'll have to make sure I get them changed. As for the switch. There is actually 4 wires in the box and it has 2 switches. One switch is for the outlet and one is for my porch light. There is a single black, white, and red wire. Then there is another black wire that has a wire nut on it and 2 sections of the insulation cut out to expose the wire. When I took the old switch's off it had the single black and the looped black wire on the switch for the porch light. So that leaves the other section of the looped wire, the white and the red for the switch for the outlet but only 2 terminals on the switch. Where do I go from there?? As stated before there is only a black and a white in the outlet. Thanks for any advice

Old 07-24-13, 03:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There should be two or more white wires connected only to each other in the switch box, is there? Do you have a multimeter or test light (but not a non contact tester)? Can you post a picture of the switch box with the switches pulled out so we can see the wires? Also the receptacle. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

I'll have to make sure I get them changed.
As said you can use GFCI receptacles. You only need one per circuit if you can find the first receptacle and use regular grounded receptacles in the rest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: