Several Receptacles Dead

Old 07-26-13, 10:10 AM
Several Receptacles Dead

Separated from http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-troubles.html

I'm having a similar problem. Got up this morning and went to turn on the tv in my family room and there was no power. It's in a corner and there is an outlet on each side of the corner. Tv plugged in to one, a power strip into the other, with the cable box plugged into the power strip. Also, in the same corner, a light switch that controls the security lights right outside that room. All were out. Just a few feet away on one of the same walls, another outlet was on, but only half. I took the plug outlet off and used one of those testers with the little light bulb. It showed that of the four wires, 2 black, 2 white, only one set was live. So, two outlets, one light switch, and half of another outlet are out. All the other outlets on that circuit are fine, only one of them is actually used. The breaker was not tripped. I'm positive it's not an overload because there's not actually much plugged in. I'm guessing it's a wire problem or the receptacles all went bad at the same time or maybe they're just loose. Any ideas?

Last edited by ray2047; 07-26-13 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-13, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
testers with the little light bulb. It showed that of the four wires, 2 black, 2 white, only one set was live. So, two outlets, one light switch, and half of another outlet are out. All the other outlets on that circuit are fine, only one of them is actually used.
As we always write the problem is either at the last working receptacle or the first non working receptacle. Your test has shown it to be at the last working receptacle so you need to check the connections and move any backstabbed connections to the screws.

Have you read: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html yet?

Old 07-26-13, 11:10 AM
I will give that a try, Ray. Thanks.

Old 07-26-13, 11:59 AM
Did what you said, Ray, and it worked. I think one of the blacks was popping out of the backstab hole enough to cause a problem. Hooked them all to the appropriate screws and bingo. Everything looks fine. thank you very much.

Old 07-26-13, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.