NEC and outdoor pump

Old 02-16-01, 09:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Does the code require an outdoor water pump that is hard wired on its own circuit to be on a GFCI breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-01, 10:38 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
as far as i know ( which isn't too far) basically anything with water needs GFCI protection either through a gfci breaker or a gfci outlet -----josh--hope this helps

Old 02-17-01, 06:39 AM
s1nuber
Visiting Guest
What does outdoor water pump mean? A well pump? A pond pump? A fountain pump? I need to know the purpose of the pump to accurately answer.

Old 02-17-01, 07:58 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
In a residetial setting;

direct connected well pumps or pond pumps would not require a GFCI protection if with no receptacle and whether 120 volt or 240 volt. If a receptacle is used then that receptacle must be GFCI protected.

Fountains must be GFCI protected whether with use of a receptacle or not or 120 or 240 volt if the pump is submersible. If the pump is a remote nonsubmersible fountain pump whether 120 volt or 240 volt rated, a GFCI protection would not be required if no receptacle is used. If a receptacle is used for that pump then a GFCI protection would be required if 120 volt rated and 15 or 20 amp rated and outside.

If commercial rated none of these pumps would require a GFCI prtection whether outside or inside unless a submerssible pump is used.

If with a submerssible pump is used on a fountain then whether with receptacle or not or outside or not then a GFCI protection must be provided.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 02-17-01, 11:15 AM
Visiting Guest
The pump is a 230 volt irrigation pump. It is above ground and on its own circuit. The 230V 15 amp double pole GFCI breaker cost $120.00! If I could use a regular double pole breaker that would sure save me some money! Of course, I have kids and a dog and I want as much protection as I need.

Old 02-17-01, 12:00 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Unless you have a receptacle 15 amp rated or 20 amp rated included in this equipment and the irrigation pump is hard wired then no GFCI protection is required.

Wg