OK to back-feed old fuse box during renovation?

Old 07-31-13, 09:05 AM
OK to back-feed old fuse box during renovation?

My cottage has 2 old fuseboxes, each with 4 fuses and 2 pull-out 220 blocks. 1st box is connected to the meter right behind it and the 2nd is in a newer addition, supplied by the feed-thru terminals (if that's what their called) on the 1st box. I'm going to be moving the meter location to near the 2nd fusebox and will soon be replacing both with a new breaker panel. During the interim so I can have power is it OK to connect the meter to the 2nd box feed-thru bus to back-feed the circuits on the 1st box? I'm not sure "back-feed" is accurate since the In & Out terminals are directly attached to the busses.
I know it's not code but what are you allowed to get away with during the renovation, until final inspection?

My worry is the utility company might not want to connect to the new meter location if it's wired to temporary panels. Then I'd be stuck in the middle with no meter in the original location, and no source of power.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-13, 09:43 AM
If you're asking about switching the meter feed from one panel to the other, it sounds like it shouldn't matter which panel is fed directly, but that's hard to be sure of without being able to see what you have.

Is this work that you're permitted to do? I would ask your local permitting office and the POCO. They'll advise you on the best way to keep temporary power.

Old 07-31-13, 06:56 PM
Glad there is no outright problem with getting the drop connected to a temporary setup.
Local electrician wanted $600 just to install and wire a new meter box & mast--and that didn't include moving it & the extra cable needed. I need to do most of this work myself to stay in my tight budget but I do plan to get permits for each required area. I just hope in that laid-back cottage community they don't have "rules of thumb" like the "anything over $50 requires a permit" I have at my home jurisdiction.

Old 07-31-13, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
My worry is the utility company might not want to connect to the new meter location if it's wired to temporary panels.
That is a worry since here in NJ the POCO's won't connect to a new service without a cut-in card.
A cut-in card is issued by the electrical inspector.

Old 07-31-13, 09:17 PM
I do plan to get permits for each required area.
Everything you've asked about doing so far requires a permit in every jurisdiction I'm familiar with. Some of those jurisdictions won't issue a permit to a homeowner for this level of work.

If I were you, I would ask them about everything you're planning to do, and ask them now. There are several reasons for this. One is to learn the permit requirements, of course. Another is to get the straight answer on your plans - there is no better source for that than your local jurisdiction because they're the ones who set, interpret and enforce the regulations. A third important reason is to avoid any unforeseen consequences of guessing what they might or might not want done. Around here, guessing wrong about that can cost you the expense of hiring someone with a license to tear your work out and do it to their satisfaction.

If you're still just kicking ideas around it might be a little early to go talk to them, but you need to have that talk before anyone starts work on your service entrance and panels.

Old 08-01-13, 07:30 AM
I just want to do the nuts & bolts work & buy the materials to save money.

As for having that talk with the county--it's in the cards but I'm only there on weekends so after I get my ideas together I need to take a day off & go have that discussion about what I want vs. what they will allow.