Junction Box Replacement

Old 02-16-01, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've got several outlets in my home that are loose. I've attempted to tighten them, only to find that the screw thread channels in the plastic junction boxes have broken off, leaving nothing for the screw to grab.

I'm not sure about the best approach to fixing this problem. Is it easy enough just to pull out the junction boxes and install new ones (how?) or should I try something different? Access from the back side of the wall is pretty much out of the question.

Old 02-16-01, 01:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb outlet boxes

Hi Steve;
I'll assume that you dont want to destroy the wall!
Cut the power to the outlet and pull the socket from the junction box. See if you can see how the box is secured. If nails try to dislodge and pull. If not sucessful at pulling dislage slightly and use a hacksaw blade, only the blade, (hanles can be obtained or wrap in electrical tap to form a handle and cut the nail. Remove the box. You may have to minutely expand the hole or wiggle it out.
There are boxees available at the Orange Box (Home Depot) that can be installed throgh the present opening, if that's what you want to do. These are plastic boxes that have screws and pop up retaining flanges on them. Remove the old box pull the wire into the new one and slide into the wall. Turning of the screws will stand the flange up and compress the front of the box and the flange to the wall keeping them in place. I have had to replace several in my house that way. However, be mindful as to how your socket is grounded. If you use older BX (metal shielded cable) that is probably the grounding conduit and a connection will have to be made to if for gounding. The newer plastic sheathed cable is what these boxes are actually made for.
Another alternative will be to try to obtain the smallest of selftapping screws and use them or since the boxes are plastic already just use a short screw slightly larger than the present hole. Remember to keep the length short!

[Edited by Bob M on 02-16-01 at 04:52]

Old 02-16-01, 06:15 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Use a slightl larger self tapping screw.

Old 02-17-01, 07:51 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Your receptacles are usually mounted with a 6/32 screw. Light fixures with an 8/32 screw.

If you will go to the electrical supply house you should be able to buy a tap that will enlarge your 6/32 screw to an 8/32 screw and renew your threads to this damaged box, or enlarge your 8/32 screw to a 10/32 screw.

Be careful trying to use a selftapping scew not designed for the purpose may damage your box beyond repair by cracking the threading area, or may have a head on this screw too large to allow the plate to lay flat to the wall.

Either replacing the box or rethreading to the next size larger screw threads would be fine and meet the requirements of the NEC. However, I would try the rethreading of the existing box because this attempt would be less intrusive and much easier if successful.

Good Luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: