Lower levels lighting

Old 08-01-13, 04:38 PM
Lower levels lighting

We just purchased our first home and when we had our home inspection all the lights worked great. However since moving in the lower level, it's a bi level, lighting doesn't work. This includes 6 lighting fixtures. Including two in my garage, two in the actual finished basement, one in the hallway between the two, and one in the laundry room. There is a utility closet and bathroom right beside the laundry room and both of those lights work. I believe I have checked all GFI spots in my home as well as all breakers. Any ideas? I'm going to double check all the above while responses and I appreciate it in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Are those lights all on the same circuit? If so, do you know which breaker it is? And, if so, does anything else go off when you turn that breaker off?

I believe I have checked all GFI spots in my home as well as all breakers.
The lights should not be GFCI protected. To reset a tripped breaker you have to turn it all the way off before turning it on.

Old 08-01-13, 06:26 PM
I did reset all breakers today. Specifically I do not know which breaker controls just those lights but the box does have labels for all breakers. I didn't think they would be connected to GFI but I figured I might as well check.

Old 08-01-13, 08:40 PM
As you turn each breaker off, are you noting what lost power and comparing that to the laberling in the panel?

Are these six light fixtures now off all the time?

Old 08-02-13, 08:22 AM
Yes I am noting and it matches up. The lights are off all the time. I have tried every switch around and nothing. The only two lights that work, is the bathroom light and exhaust fan on their own switch and the utility closet which the electrical box is in with its own switch. I could post pictures if that may help? I am at work and will be home around 7pm est.

Old 08-02-13, 09:25 AM
The only two lights that work, is the bathroom light and exhaust fan on their own switch and the utility closet which the electrical box is in with its own switch.
I assume you mean the only two loads on that circuit. Is that correct? And, does this circuit only feed lights - no receptacles?

I could post pictures if that may help? I am at work and will be home around 7pm est.
Pictures often help, but I'm not sure they would in this case. It sounds like you have an open connection somewhere downstream of the panel. If you don't already have an inexpensive analog multimeter, pick one up on the way home. In the meantime, you can read Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light... to learn the process to use to find the problem, and post back with any more questions.

Old 08-04-13, 09:32 PM
Found the issue. One of the wall outlet plugs had a neutral wire coming lose. Found this out whole using the outlet to sweep and the cord stretched and turned on the lights. Problem solved by rescuing the outlet! Thanks.

Old 08-05-13, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Glad you found it. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.