New outlet from 3-way switch

Old 08-02-13, 06:20 AM
New outlet from 3-way switch

Hello. I am attempting to install new outlet for some low voltage lighting. The easiest place to do so is off of a 3-way switch. I was looking at 2 options and was hoping to get opinions.

It should be noted that I do have neutral wires tied together in the outlet box of the 3way switch.

Option 1 - Replace the existing 3-way switch with a combination 3-way switch/outlet. Only one outlet I know, but its at the end of the garage where I just do not see a need other than for the LV lighting.

Option 2 - Add an entirely new outlet next to the 3-way switch (tying into the neutral and hot from that 3-way switch.

Before I go down the path, I just wanted to make sure there are no flaws with these options.

As always, thanks for the assistance.
Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-13, 06:58 AM
So long as you have both a neutral and an unswitched hot available, either option should work. Because this is in your garage the receptacle needs to be GFCI protected. It might be easier to add a full-sized receptacle than to find a combination 3-way switch with a receptacle that is GFCI protected.

Old 08-02-13, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Low voltage lighting transformers generally aren't rated for indoor use so I assume the receptacle will be outside. Finding a combo GFCI receptacle and 3-way switch might be difficult and certainly expensive. I'd say change to a double gang box and separate receptacle.

Old 08-02-13, 07:11 AM
Thank you both. I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that 2 of the wires going into the switch are the travelers and the remaining third is the unswitched hot. Could the 3rd be anything other than the unswitched hot?

Old 08-02-13, 09:01 AM
I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that 2 of the wires going into the switch are the travelers and the remaining third is the unswitched hot. Could the 3rd be anything other than the unswitched hot?
If you have one 3-conductor cable feeding that switch, and all three of the current-carrying conductors are connected to the switch, then you don't have a grounded conductor - a neutral - there.

Old 08-02-13, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Could the 3rd be anything other than the unswitched hot?
It could be switched power to the device controlled by the switch. There should be a 2-conductor cable in the box in addition to the 3-conductor. If disconnected it should show 120 volts when measured with a multimeter, solenoid tester, or test light. (A non contact tester can not be used.)