2 questions

Old 08-03-13, 05:48 AM
2 questions

This is my first post and by looking around this site is full of great info.

I have 2 questions both electrical in nature.

1. My son lives in VA and is building a new house. The contractor was suppose to run a line for the electric stove only but ran a gas line inside the cupboard also.

This is for a drop in range. Is it legal to have both a 220 volt electrical hook up next to a gas line?

I worry about a gas leak being the electrical box for the pigtail is next to the gas line.

2. I am planning to run UF line to my shed so I can finally have lighting which is 120 feet away. I know that this can be a direct burial but was going to run it through 1 inch conduit just in case there were problems.

How deep does it have to be buried (live in PA) and is 1 inch conduit big enough so I don't have problems pulling. I heard there is also a lubricant I can use but have not found it anywhere.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-13, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome.

The gas line next to a receptacle is not a code issue. Also the gas line should not be leaking.

If the UF is 120 volt and GFI protected you can bury it at 12" to the top of the conduit or cable. If not 120 or not GFI protected you need to go to 24" under a lawn.

It is easier to pull individual conductors through conduit. Depending on the size of the UF the conduit size would be affected. You could sleeve the cable where it comes out of the wall down to the correct depth, and then direct bury the cable.

Wire pulling lubricant should be available at an electrical supply house. some big box stores may have it also.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-03-13 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Changed typo 18" to 24"
Old 08-03-13, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the answers. There appears to be in issue with the gas and electrical line being they are in close proximity to each other.

The foreman said he doubted that the inspector will pass it that way,
. He did not elaborate and I was thinking it was a safety issue in case the line started to leak for whatever reason.

As far as the conduit, I decided to run 1 1/2 even though I could do as you suggest and direct bury it.

With the way my luck is something will happen to the line that is buried. If something does happen being it will be in conduit I can pull a new line through. At my age a little more work and a few extra bucks are worth the piece of mind.

Old 08-03-13, 06:46 PM
The foreman said he doubted that the inspector will pass it that way,
That kinda makes ya wonder why the foreman let it be installed that way if he thinks the inspector won't allow it. I have no idea why they would want a gas line installed like that anyway. To be run through the cabinets it must be a soft copper line that I don't believe meets the fuel gas code anyway. Furd would know.

Old 08-04-13, 12:16 AM
Furd would know.
No, Furd does not know.

As is often mentioned throughout these forums all code is local. Some LOCAL codes require galvanized steel for fuel gas lines and some prohibit it. Some allow copper tubing under certain circumstances and some prohibit it completely.

The national model codes (which have NO power of enforcement) neither require nor prohibit fuel gas piping in close proximity to electrical wiring.

It is not uncommon to have both electric and gas connections for a kitchen range. The best of both worlds is a range that uses gas for the cooktop units and electric for the oven.