Help! Correct wire and materials for Hot Tub hook up

Old 08-03-13, 08:30 AM
Help! Correct wire and materials for Hot Tub hook up

Hot tub project is in progress! I have a general contractor friend that has helped with patio etc. To help on costs I have been acquiring all materials to save run around time for everyone involved.

A little confused with the electrical. Let me emphasize I am not doing this work myself! I am only buying materials.

Here is my question

Paperwork from hot tub place says the power requirement for hot tub is 240v/60a 4-wire.

This is a link to the electrical schematic: http://vikingspas.com/schematic.jpg

My confusion is the 4 wire.. I purchased 6/3 from lowes shown here.. Southwire 125 ft. Black 6-3 Romex NM-B W/G Wire-63950002 at The Home Depot

I assume the schematics on the hot tub literature refer to it as a 4 wire because of the added neutral? Just want to make sure I bought the right wiring it wasn't cheap

2nd question is what is the right conduit or protector to enclose the cord in that runs from the hot tub to the GFCI spa panel box? It will run on the ground to the box that will be attached to house.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-13, 08:40 AM
Let me emphasize I am not doing this work myself! I am only buying materials.
Why not just let the electrician take responsibility for furnishing the proper materials.

Paperwork from hot tub place says the power requirement for hot tub is 240v/60a 4-wire.
Reading through your post, this was the first big red flag to me. A 240 volt circuit requires 3 wires, not 4. If a 4-wire circuit is required, the voltage is 120/240V. There are additional requirements to safely wire the spa by code that your electrician should know and will require specific materials.

Old 08-03-13, 08:46 AM
I provided a link to the elctrical schematic. I imagine based on that someone can tell me what wire to buy. My home depot card. My 10% new homeowner coupon.. I am buying the materials. When I reference the 4 wire I was telling you what it says on the summary sheet they gave me when I purchased the tub. It was confusing to me as well that's why I am posting here.

Old 08-03-13, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I am an electrician..... I don't usually install customer supplied wiring or cabling. Make sure your electrician will.

6-3 NM cable is actually 6-3 w/ground. Which would be your four wires.
In the wiring instructions they show black, white, red and green. The NM cable is black, white, red and bare. Green and bare are interchangeable.

In re-reading your post you don't mention where this spa is. Type NM wire is not used outdoors or in wet locations.

Old 08-03-13, 08:55 AM
Thank you for the clarification. The hot tub is outside about 8 ft from house. The GFCI box will be attached to house. Can that wire be put in like a protective pvc or something similar to protect it for the run from the spa to the box or do you need a different wire altogether?

Old 08-03-13, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, the NM cannot be used used in a conduit.

The grounding conductor needs to be insulated.

There are also bonding considerations for the walk surface around the tub. As well as the installation of a 120 volt GFI receptacle that may be needed.

Old 08-03-13, 06:18 PM
2nd question is what is the right conduit or protector to enclose the cord in that runs from the hot tub to the GFCI spa panel box? It will run on the ground to the box that will be attached to house.
Typically a conduit would be run underground and not on the surface of the ground. What type conduit has your electrician suggested and what kind of installation, surface or underground, will the AHJ want to see? I am sure you know that this project probably requires a permit and inspection.

I provided a link to the elctrical schematic. I imagine based on that someone can tell me what wire to buy.
I saw the schematic. It indicates conduit and individual conductors from the main service panel to the spa panel and not NM B cable. That is why the 4th wire is a green ground and not a bare ground.

What kind of wire to buy? I would purchase THHN/THWN wire.

Old 08-03-13, 08:18 PM
Bummer. Am I to understand the nm b wire I bought is completely useless? I was hoping he could use that for main service panel to spa panel and use thwn from spa panel to hot tub.

It turns out to be a lot more involved than I imagined and I jumped the gun on buying materials.

But to answer your question I have a concrete paver patio next to a mulch bed which butts up against house. Eyes I am aware of permits and inspection.

In truth I should have kept my nose out of the electrical work and materials purchase. I am an overbearing homeowner I guess.

Old 08-03-13, 08:46 PM
Bummer. Am I to understand the nm b wire I bought is completely useless? I was hoping he could use that for main service panel to spa panel and use thwn from spa panel to hot tub.
That should work.

I have a concrete paver patio next to a mulch bed which butts up against house.
The conduit between the disconnect and the spa needs to be buried not less than 12" below the surface.

yes I am aware of permits and inspection.
And you have the permit?

It turns out to be a lot more involved than I imagined and I jumped the gun on buying materials.
If you bought the materials without first asking your electrician whether he or she would like you to do that, and without getting the lidt of materials from him or her, then yes, you did.

The way I handle materials purchases is that I buy them. Always. No exceptions. I pay a lower price than a non-electrician would pay. I receive two receipts. One is for the amount I paid and the other is for amount you, or any other non-professional, would have paid. I file the receipt for the amount I paid and present the other receipt to the customer as part of the bill for the job.

By doing it this way, I can be comfortable that I have the materials in hand that will let me do the work without additional purchases, that the materials will, when installed, meet all adopted codes and the intent behind them, and are the best value to be found. I consider the difference in the two costs, which is typically about 10%, to be a loss, relative to the time I spent, that I choose to incur in order to be comfortable with the quality and suitability of the materials.