Code regarding dedicated receptacle inside an island

Old 08-03-13, 08:46 PM
Code regarding dedicated receptacle inside an island

Hi I have a kitchen island with a few 120-volt circuits coming up from below the floor into a metal J-box inside the cabinet. The externally accessible receptacles were approved by the inspector. Now I want to connect the sparker for the gas cooktop...~1 amp at 120 volts. Does the NEC permit me to install a receptacle inside the cabinet and just plug it in (like a disposer under a sink), or do I have to use a raceway / armored cable to connect the sparker to the J-box? it would be a lot easier to install a receptacle.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-13, 09:51 PM
If the igniters for your gas cooktop are supplied through a cord that came with the cooktop and that has a plug on the end of it, then it should be plugged into a receptacle. Cutting the plug off of the cord would void the UL listing for your appliance, and the cord is most likely not rated for use inside an electrical box.

Old 08-04-13, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
IIRC powering the cook top off the small appliance circuit is allowed. You are OK to install the receptacle.

Old 08-04-13, 06:08 PM
IIRC powering the cook top off the small appliance circuit is allowed.
That's my recollection too. Specifically the 120 power for a gas cooktop, range or oven.