4-way dimmer switch?

Old 08-04-13, 08:01 AM
4-way dimmer switch?

My current layout:

2 linked outlets that are controlled by 2 linked switches. In other words, I have 2 lamps in either side of the bed that can be turned on or off by 1 switch next to the bed, or 1 switch next to the door.

What I would like to achieve is installing another switch on the other side of the bed to control those same 2 lamps. So 3 switches controlling 2 outlets. The kicker is that I would like the 2 switches by either side of the bed to also be dimmers. I'm guessing that this isn't possible without a remote control type of system. We would settle by only having 1 dimmer switch without the use of remote controls.

Would this be possible? I'm not even sure if 4-way dimmer switches exists.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-13, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

A quick search on-line shows they do make 4 way dimmers (Sears.com) but I have never seen one. It might be easier to just use a 3 way dimmer at the most used switch location.

Old 08-04-13, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
You might be better off installing a three way dimmer with a slave remote control.

The wiring on these units is a little confusing.

Right now you have two receptacles controlled by two three way switches.
What you need to find out:

1) Where does the feed come into the mix ? .... at which three way switch.
2) Where does the receptacle line come into the mix ? .... at which three way switch.

You need to know how the entire circuit is wired before you consider expanding it.

Old 08-04-13, 11:02 AM
Multi-station dimmers are not uncommon. The bigger problem is that dimmers may not be used in circuits supplying general purpose receptacles.

Old 08-04-13, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
That is a good point Furd!

A better option might be to install a plug in dimmer for each lamp and then have individual control of each persons lamp. Amazon.com: Lutron TT-300H-WH Electronics Plug-In Lamp Dimmer, White: Home Improvement less expensive too!

Old 08-04-13, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
The bigger problem is that dimmers may not be used in circuits supplying general purpose receptaclesj
The key being "general purpose" receptacles.

You could use a dimmer receptacle such as those made by lutron but you will have to change the plugs on the lamps. http://lightingcontrolsassociation.o...le-receptacle/