rewiring lightswitch

Old 02-17-01, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a wallswitch that is connected to a wall outlet.I want to rewire the wallswitch so it is independent of the wall outlet. How is this done and do I have to replace the walll outlet also?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-01, 09:51 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Just wire nut the two wires on the screws together separate from the switch. Your switch won't be doing anything but your receptacle will be hot all the time, then.

Don't see advantage to this action. Why not just leave the switch in the on position?

Wg

Old 02-17-01, 04:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steve, your statement that the swtich is connected to the outlet is ambiguous. Wg made the assumption that you meant that the switch controlled the outlet. If his assumption is not correct, please let us know.

I assume you want to use this switch for some other purpose. You can certainly do what Wg said, or you can go to the outlet and rewire it to not be dependent on the switch (it's easy to do, but we would need more information to tell you how -- for example is both halves of the outlet controlled by the switch or just one half, and are there any red wires in either the switch box or the outlet box).

If you intend to use this switch for something else, be aware that you probably have no neutral wire at all in the switch box. Thus you cannot power anything else from here. You'd have to find your power elsewhere. We'll need to know how many black wires are in the switch box.

Post back more details and we'll provide more information.