Remote RF (?) light control switch?

Old 08-09-13, 10:18 PM
Remote RF (?) light control switch?

Howdy - new here. I hope someone can help. I have 6 outside lights on one circuit (say 400 W total) but I'd like to be able to control them from several locations. Right now the only switch is at entry door. Like to install remote switches next to door between house and garage, and in garage next to garage door. I see Lutron, Insteon, and other brand-names that seem to offer this, either broadcast RF signal, or RF signal injected into the AC system (ie X-10 technology). But I'm finding their websites to be utterly opaque.

Can someone tell me what items I need to buy? Seems like it's one controller switch that replaces the current mechanical switch, plus 2 remote switches that I mount essentially anywhere. FWIW, one proposed location is about 50 ft (through 2 wood frame walls) form the mechanical switch. The other location is maybe 60 ft with 3 intervening walls.

This really shouldn't be that hard, but, as I said, I find the websites to be less than clear.

Thanks.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-13, 05:46 AM
Welcome to the forums. I use the Lutron infrared version of these devices and they have been working flawlessly for over ten years.

In the RF product line, Lutron Pico wireless controllers are used to control their Maestro switches. Any number of Picos can control a single Maestro

Maestro instruction manual:
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/0301072B.pdf

Pico instruction manual:
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum..._Pico%20VA.pdf

Old 08-10-13, 06:43 AM
I have 6 outside lights on one circuit (say 400 W total) but I'd like to be able to control them from several locations. Right now the only switch is at entry door. Like to install remote switches next to door between house and garage, and in garage next to garage door. I see Lutron, Insteon, and other brand-names that seem to offer this, either broadcast RF signal, or RF signal injected into the AC system (ie X-10 technology). But I'm finding their websites to be utterly opaque.
Yes, navigating the web sites can be frustrating.

I'm only familiar with X10 so I can't really speak to the other systems. To use X10 components, you can replace your existing single-location switch with a wall switch module. You will also need a plug-in transceiver. The two switches for the remote locations can be their standard wall transmitters.