GFCI reset button trips

Old 08-10-13, 10:00 PM
GFCI reset button trips

First, let me say that I do not know much about dealing with electrical problems.

Early this morning I heard my GFCI button trip and all the outlets in two bathrooms are out. I changed the GFCI but they still do not work. There are two black and two white wires. I connected the two black (hot) wires to the brass screws and the two whites to the silver screws. There is also a bare grounding wire.

When I test the two black wires, one is "hot" and the other is not. It seems to me that this is what is causing the problem. How do I find out what is causing this?

Thanks for your help....Pops

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-13, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
One set of wires (black and white) are power in called line. They must go to the line side of the GFCI. The other set of wires are power out to another outlet (receptacle or light or switch). They should not be hot when measured with a meter. A non contact tester is not a valid tester for this.) They are the load wires and must go to the load side of the GFCI. The GFCI will not work if they are not connected correctly. Both the white and black of line in must be on the line side. If either black or white is not on the correct side the GFCI will not work.

Changing out a GFCI that trips is not the first thing you do. Tripping usually just means it is doing what it is suppose to do. First you unplug everything and if that corrects the problem you plug each back in till you find what is tripping the GFCI. If it trips with everything unplugged then you disconnect the load wires and test. If it still trips then you replace the GFCI.