alum. wiring

Old 08-12-13, 02:26 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
alum. wiring

Old house with alum. wiring. Can I spice into the alum. wiring with copper to make runs to recepticals?

Old 08-12-13, 03:02 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Can I spice into the alum. wiring with copper to make runs to recepticals?
Yes, but you can't put the copper and the aluminum in direct contact when you do. You need to use a connector that will establish electrical connection while maintaining mechanical separation. AlumiConn is one, and you can get a free sample from them. COPALUM is another. I think it's primarily sold to electrical contractors who do the repair.

Old 08-12-13, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Copalum is an awesome connection method and is installed by a certified dealer.

I haven't seen the AlumiConn connectors yet. I'm not sure about that push in system.

Old 08-12-13, 04:40 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I haven't seen the AlumiConn connectors yet. I'm not sure about that push in system.
They aren't a push-in system like I think of a back-stab on a residential receptacle, but a small tin plated 3-barrel aluminum lug. The aluminum conductors are held with the mechanical pressure of the screws on each barrel. The proper installation requires a torque screwdriver.

Copalum is an awesome connection method and is installed by a certified dealer.
As far as I know, this is a very good connection system, but the drawbacks are the certified installer and the special tool to install them, I heard it was pretty expensive. These are not for the DIYer.

Old 08-12-13, 04:47 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Old house with alum. wiring. Can I spice into the alum. wiring with copper to make runs to recepticals?
I suggest you start getting educated on aluminum wiring since you already have a home with it. Here's a start for you from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, you should print and save this publication for future reference.

http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/118856/516.pdf

Old 08-12-13, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Thanks for the info Joe.

I looked further into the Alumiconn connectors. They are very similar to Polaris bugs as they use a setscrew to hold the wire into a barrel.

Old 08-12-13, 08:11 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I looked further into the Alumiconn connectors. They are very similar to Polaris bugs as they use a setscrew to hold the wire into a barrel.
Yep. If you scroll down on this page you can find images of them with the flap over the set screws open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: