Old 08-13-13, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
weak neutral source

hi
my house is far from the neighborhood ac transformer 11 k v to 220 v
the neutral sources of my house is weak
so some people advised me to make 1 in my house
they told me to dig a hole in the yard 2 meter depth and 1 m width
and place a copper or stainless steel rod 5/8 inch connected with cable to my house electric circuit box neutral poles rod then fill the hole with salt then put few water on it
my neighbor neutral is also weak so they tried this method and it successes

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-13, 04:02 PM
For US applications this would be a form of grounding (not code worthy in the least), not installing a "neutral". Since you are not in the US or Canada, and we really don't know where you are, it may be best for you to contact your local power company to see if they have any suggestions. I don't know what a "weak neutral" would consist of anyway.

Old 08-13-13, 04:20 PM
I don't know what sort of electrical infrastructure you have in your part of Iraq, but stainless steel is a poor conductor and the method you propose is likely to create a hazard.

If a neutral conductor is missing or loose, one result will be increased voltages, above the 230V hot-to-neutral you normally have. You and your neighbor need to have the power company correct this as soon as possible.

I would think an HVAC expert would be familiar with this.

Old 08-13-13, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Not likely to get much help from the power company unfortunately. Iraq: Powering up after a decade down - Interactive - Al Jazeera English

Old 08-15-13, 08:08 AM
What you are doing is using ground as a neutral. In the U.S., ground and neutral are combined on the utility poles and every other pole if not every pole has a ground wire (grounding electrode conductor) to a ground rod at the pole base. A small number of amperes (difference between current draw from the A leg and B leg of the 120/240 volt system) from a house can go from a grounding electrode of the kind you contructed, through the earth, and to the GEC at a pole and your electrical system will work normally. A significant difference current (more than about 10 amperes) will result in the symptoms of a bad neutral (seesawing hot to ground voltage) coming back.

For a system with just one leg (120 volt only or 240 volt only "two wire" system) the neutral carries the whole (full house load) current instead of a difference current and neutral problems between the pole and your house show up as only voltage drop instead of seesawing.

If you absolutely positively insist on living with a makeshift neutral of the kind you made, run a copper wire (I suggest 8 gauge) from your makeshift location (salt pit) all the way out to a utility pole with a GEC (not necessarily the pole with your transformer) and clamp your wire onto the GEC.

Old 08-15-13, 09:06 PM
If you absolutely positively insist on living with a makeshift neutral of the kind you made, run a copper wire (I suggest 8 gauge) from your makeshift location (salt pit) all the way out to a utility pole with a GEC (not necessarily the pole with your transformer) and clamp your wire onto the GEC.
Gee, I wonder how long that will last.

Old 08-16-13, 12:52 AM
thank u all
i contactd an exprt electric enginnr
he said this method is too bad and may result to damage the transformer or overheat or decrease its working time
i askd him what i can do
he said you cannot enhance the neutral line sinc it mad up from the transformr
but h said u can ask the people in the neibourhood to balance thier load on the phass of the transformer (bcause here all peopl connctetd their cables in the neutral and first hot line and not use the other phases)
and he said the power comnpany can increase the transformer numbr since the recent transformer is overloaded and also increase the voltage through the 11 kv wires)

Old 08-16-13, 12:57 AM
I don't know what a "weak neutral" would consist of anyway.
it means loose or bad neutral

Old 08-16-13, 01:03 AM
f you absolutely positively insist on living with a makeshift neutral of the kind you made, run a copper wire (I suggest 8 gauge) from your makeshift location (salt pit) all the way out to a utility pole with a GEC (not necessarily the pole with your transformer) and clamp your wire onto the GEC.
so u mean i can conneect the coppr wire to the neutral house and cut the one from the transformer

Old 08-16-13, 07:06 AM
so u mean i can conneect the coppr wire to the neutral house and cut the one from the transformer
I have never seen a power company in the U.S. that grounded their neutral conductor at every pole, just at the transformer poles. I seriously doubt you'll find a GEC to connect to at your nearest pole either, unless it might be the transformer pole. Even at transformer poles in this country, with the high copper prices, it is now pretty common to see the GEC for the neutral conductor to be mysteriously missing.