Old 08-18-13, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
Made bigger...

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  17.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-13, 06:54 AM
First thing I did when I bought the house was replace all the old 15a receptacles with new 20a receptacles
If the circuits are 15 amp, switching to 20 amp receptacles is a code violation. When replacing the receptacles you should have stayed with new 15 amp devices.

Old 08-18-13, 07:56 AM
THANKS!!! Sorry for the previous size.

Old 08-18-13, 08:52 PM
the receptacle in the post below is wired the way it was on the original receptacle, I just replaced it with a new 20a receptacle.
If the wires were connected to the receptacle you replaced in the same positions they're connected to the new receptacle then that receptacle and the devices downline from it wouldn't have worked either.

Before you start fooling with the black wire in that box, splice the two whiter wires together with a white pigtail in the same gauge wire and terminate that pigtail to one of the silver neutral terminal screws. Let's see how that works first.

Do you have a copy of Wiring Simplified?

Old 08-19-13, 07:56 AM
No, I don't have a copy, but I think I get the jist of that you're saying does it matter which neutral the pigtail connects to? Is the red wire on the hot post in the correct position?

Old 08-19-13, 02:41 PM
No, I don't have a copy, but...
You need to buy a copy of the textbook for our online seminar. It is authoritative, comprehensive, continually updated, readable and affordable.

does it matter which neutral the pigtail connects to? Is the red wire on the hot post in the correct position?
Until and unless the tab connecting the two silver terminal screws is broken or removed there is only one neutral connection, with two terminal screws, on a duplex receptacle. It doesn't matter which you terminate the grounded conductor to.

We can't see where and how the red wire is connected. If it is connected to one of the brass terminal screws and those two screws are connected to each other, then it is connected correctly.