Window air conditioner tripping breaker

Old 08-14-13, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window air conditioner tripping breaker

I have a window a/c on a 15 amp breaker. I know it's overloaded but my cord will not reach to the dedicated 20 amp breaker. Would I be better off to put a new cord on the a/c or can I use a 10 gauge extension cord to reach the 20 amp outlet? If I put a new cord on should I use 10 gauge as it would be about 15 feet long? Any ideas other than running a new circuit breaker and installing the 20amp outlet closer would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-13, 10:42 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you rent or own? If you rent I would suggest a #12 extension cord though it wouldn't be exactly code. Get only as long a cord as you need. You can get Wiremold to protect cords.

If you own the only real solutions are to install a new receptacle near the A/C or extend the existing receptacle wires to the A/C using surface raceway such as Wiremold.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-14-13 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-14-13, 11:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
I agree with Ray. The best answer is to install or extend the 20A circuit where it needs to be.

But on the other hand, I think as long as you get an appropriate sized extension cord (they make larger appliance ones that are 12ga wire and beefy insulation) and you take good care of it, (don't run it under the carpet, discard it when it starts getting brittle, ensure it's plugged all the way in, etc), you should be good to go.

Old 08-14-13, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I went and bought some 12-3 wire, plug and socket ends and made an extension cord. This seems to have solved the problem and will do until I can come up with a permanent solution. Thanks again.

Old 08-15-13, 01:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.