Wiring Question

Old 08-15-13, 01:58 PM
Wiring Question

Hi all. Need a bit of Help here. I have a dual dimmer in my kitchen that controls 2 sets of 4 lights. It went south and I wanted to replace it with a single pole switch that will turn all 8 lights on and off. The light switch I was sold only has 3 screws, 2 gold and one green. How do I wire this thing up? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-13, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
I have a dual dimmer
What is a dual dimmer? Do you mean two dimers on the same yoke for use in a single gang box, in other words a duplex dimmer?

The light switch I was sold only has 3 screws, 2 gold and one green. How do I wire this thing up?
If you want to control all eight lights on one switch and power comes in at the switch not one of the lights connect the power in black to one screw of the switch. Pigtail the other two blacks to the other screw of the switch. If it is a plastic box and you have ground wires pigtail them to the ground screw on the switch. If metal box pigtail the ground wires, if any, to the box. In a metal switch box pigtailing to the switch is optional but a good idea.

If power comes in at one of the lights instead post back for further instructions.

Definition Pigtai: To pigtail means to connect a 6"-8" length of wire (same color, same size) to two or more wires so that multiple wires can be connected to a single wire terminal.

Old 08-15-13, 06:36 PM
thanks Ray. just attempted it. I removed the dimmer and saw it only had 3 wires connected to the back - 2 black and one red (the box is indeed metal, so no ground). There are 2 conduits coming into the box, both from the top. One of the black wires is coming out of the left conduit. THe other black and red out of the right. My switch has 2 gold screws on one side and a green on the other side -im assuming ground. Since there is no ground wire, I only used the 2 gold screws (both on the same side).
At first I connected the black wire from the left conduit to one screw and pigtailed the other black and red to the other. Turned on the power and the left set of lights switched on and off but the right set of lights stayed on. SO I started over and connected the red wire to one screw and pigtailed the two blacks to the other screw. This time the right set of lights worked using the switch but the left set now stayed on. IM at a loss here. Thanks again for the help

Old 08-15-13, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have any way to measure voltage or if a wire is live ?

You need to find the live wire, which goes to one terminal of the dimmer.
The two remaining wires are connected together and then to the other terminal of the dimmer.

Old 08-15-13, 08:35 PM
Going to look for a multimeter. This makes me think though that the other black wire is the live wire, since I havent hooked it up on its own yet. Dont know much about electricity but that is the only thing that makes sense.

Old 08-15-13, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
True.....the only choice not tried yet.

Old 08-15-13, 10:47 PM
That turned out to be it. Everything works now. Thanks for your help guys.