GCFI tripping I NEED HELP!

Old 08-15-13, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GCFI tripping I NEED HELP!

HELP!
I am in the middle of renovating my home and have installed most all of the wiring from the slab (topout)myself. I checked all outlets to their appropriate breakers for correct hot, neutral and ground before the drywall install. Since drywall install I have installed some outlets in the bathroom and they are working fine. Outlets in the kitchen work fine. The kitchen and bath are on seperate breakers. I have not installed the GFCI outlet in the bathroom yet but have installed the GCFI in the kitchen. With both breakers on, if I plug my radio into the bathroom outlet the GFCI in the kitchen trips. If I unplug the radio, I can reset the GCFI, but as soon as I try to plug the radio in again it trips the GFCI again.
If I turn the kitchen breaker off and leave the bath breaker on,I can plug the radio into the bath outlet with no problem. If I use my 110 tester on the wires coming to the first bathroom outlet it is fine (bright 110 indicator)but when I touch the black to black going to the next bath outlet the 110 meter still lights up but is a dull light or if I touch the black to white I get the same dull light. I dont think i should be getting any light when testing to the next outlet. The drywall install may or may not have any effect.
Summary: Both breaker work fine independantly, tripping occurs when plugging into bath outlet when both breaker are on.
Did I connect the GFCI incorrectly? Is there something I did wrong when connecting the GFCI neutral? Is the bad GCFI installation causing a feedback? Should I have separated my neutrals in the junction box that serves both sets of breaker wires
Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-13, 06:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Your kitchen must have two separate circuits, both of which must be GFCI protected from the first receptacle, or from a breaker. Your bathroom and kitchen circuits cannot be connected in any way. Are all your receptacle circuits on one breaker each, or are you using a MWBC (multi wire branch circuit)? You probably should purchase and study a copy of Wiring Simplified. It will give you, in detail, the wiring allowed, and how it is done. What kind of tester are you using? Do you have an analog multimeter? Cheap. $10. I recommend you use one so you can tell the actual voltages you are dealing with.
It is obvious you have either lighting and switch loops mixed in with your receptacles. If you can, remove the power to the receptacles and pull them from the box and post a picture of the wiring. We may can tell something from that. Otherwise, we're gonna ask a bunch of questions that the pictures may solve. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-15-13, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You, most likely, either have a MWBC or the neutrals from these two circuits are tied together somewhere.

Old 08-15-13, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
The neutraals from the two circuits need to remain separated from each other.

Old 08-15-13, 07:17 PM
I believe you are right. If I connected the neutrals from the kitchen and the bathroom off the load from the kitchen GFCI and the radio was plugged into a bath outlet, would this cause a feedback loop thru the main panel / bath breaker/ outlet to the outgoing wires leaving the first incoming bath outlet?
If so, should separating the incoming neutral from the kitchen GFCI load and running it to a bath GCFI line solve the problem?

Old 08-15-13, 08:11 PM
It's sinking in now, combining the neutrals from the kitchen and the bathroom breakers to the kitchen GFCI load is causing the feedback.
I will separate the neutrals tommorrow to make 2 independent breaker loops with a GFCI on each circuit.
Thanks

Old 08-16-13, 05:56 PM
Smile Thanks!

I moved my bathroom neutral from the load side to the line side of the GFCI and everything is fine now.
Thanks for the help

Old 08-16-13, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Glad we were of some assistance. Any more questions, let us know.