Plumbing line touches electrical wires. Any issues?

Old 08-17-13, 06:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plumbing line touches electrical wires. Any issues?

I just replaced a small section of copper plumbing line with new copper plumb line which carries hot water to my sink.

I just realized that there are some electrical lines that run underneath this hot water line and actually comes in contact with it. Is this a big deal? Would the hot water line melt the housing of the electrical line?

Old 08-17-13, 06:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You don't necessarily want copper water lines and current carrying cables to be in the same touchy situation. The pipes may not get hot enough to degrade the casing of the cable, but I would separate them. Odd things happen and you don't want it happening like this.

Old 08-17-13, 08:51 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
You could wrap the pipe with a few layers of electrical tape. This would provide a cushion and also added insulation (electrical) should slight movement of the pipe due to thermal expansion wear through the Romex cable (admittedly extremely unlikely and made more unlikely due to the cushioning effect of the tape).

Old 08-17-13, 09:45 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd suggest foam pipe wrap.

Old 08-17-13, 03:23 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I don't think it's a big deal, but if you want to be cautious, I'd also recommend some foam pipe insulation on the pipe where it contacts the sheath of the cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: