What wire to run to a kitchen range?

Old 08-16-13, 05:25 PM
What wire to run to a kitchen range?

I am doing a home kitchen remodel and haven't decided on the type (gas, electric, or dual) of stove/oven I am going to put in. However, I do want to run the electric wires before deciding so that I am covered in case I change my mind later on.

I was thinking of running either a 8-3 electric wire or a 10-3 electric wire. What gauge of electric wire should I run to cover all my bases?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-13, 05:51 PM
Unless you plan on using a commercial type range an 8-3 copper with ground should be sufficient. You also want to run a 120 volt receptacle for a gas range light and ignitions system. This 120 volt circuit may come from one of the required small appliance branch circuits.

Old 08-16-13, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
You should at the very least run an 8-3 NM w/grd. That would give you a 240vac 40amp feed.

If you go with a monster range......some require 6-3w/grd.

Old 08-16-13, 08:51 PM
Ok, thanks for the recommendation guys. Yes, so I think I'll just run an 8-3 wire.

On a separate note, I'm also going to do an overhead microwave with a built-in vent. Do you think I'll be ok with a 12-2 electrical wire with a single pole 20 amp breaker at the outdoor electrical panel?

Old 08-16-13, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
On a separate note, I'm also going to do an overhead microwave with a built-in vent. Do you think I'll be ok with a 12-2 electrical wire with a single pole 20 amp breaker at the outdoor electrical panel
Yes, it must be a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Old 08-17-13, 07:36 AM
Do you think I'll be ok with a 12-2 electrical wire with a single pole 20 amp breaker at the outdoor electrical panel?
I don't like outdoor electrical panels. If you use typical 12-2 NM B cable (aka romex) it cannot be exposed outdoors. Do you have a path in which to route the cable so it isn't exposed? The same goes for the 8-3 NM B cable for the range circuit. Many times this means exiting through the back of the panel.

Old 08-17-13, 10:46 PM
Yes, even though the panel is mounted outside, the wires actually run through a hole in the back of the panel, up a stud cavity, and into the attic.