Wiremold conduit first-timer question

Old 08-17-13, 09:18 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiremold conduit first-timer question

Hi guys, My first posting on here. Looks like a great place to spend a little time & learn. I need to run an exposed circuit & would like to use metal Wiremold for cover. I have researched their site & learned about whats avail. & how to connect it. BUT, what about wire type? This will be a 20A. circuit using 12ga. wire. Is solid THHN what is commonly used OR would stranded be better to fit into places like the 90 deg. corner fittings?
Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go here.
Old 08-17-13, 11:19 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,842
Received 551 Votes on 473 Posts
Solid and stranded wire can be used interchangeably. Solid works just fine as that is what we use. Stranded would also work, maybe a little better for the corners you mentioned. THHN is the only wire to use in Wiremold. While metal Wiremold is rated as a ground, I suggest running a ground wire anyway.
Old 08-17-13, 03:27 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,102
Received 152 Votes on 135 Posts
I need to run an exposed circuit & would like to use metal Wiremold for cover.
Most good hardware stores carry Wiremold in both metal and non-metallic versions. Some of the newer plastic versions are pretty good and easier to work with in addition to being more cost effective.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: