Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

3 wire conduit source (outlet) to 2 wire conduit (outlet receptacle) HELP....

Old 08-17-13, 12:05 PM

Ok, I assumed that my house has 14-2, but it is actually 12-3 from the main source. The main wire (source is 3 wire with ground) and is connected to an outlet receptacle. The black wire is not connected to the outlet, but is joined together and runs through the MC to another outlet. The red (source) is connected to bottom outlet, and other red wire is connected on top and runs through the MC to the next outlet. The white wires (source and other wire) are joined together and is connected on the top of the outlet and runs through the MC to the next outlet.

Now, how do I run a 14-2 wire with the existing set up? I was thinking of just connecting the white wires together (from the top of existing set up) and the black wire of 14-2 to the red (from the top of the existing set up). Is this correct?? I hope I do not have to get 20' of red wire since I had already wired up 3 outlet receptacles from the wall I am building with 14-2. PLEASE HELP... Thank you.

FYI. It is coming from a 15A breaker.

Last edited by CEE1NG_RED; 08-17-13 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-13, 01:23 PM
You must determine the loads connected to these specific conductors; for example , if these are conductors of Small Appliance Branch-Circuits which are connected to kitchen and didning-room receptacles , no other outlets can be connected to this type of Branch-Circuit .

These usually are 20-amp circuits , so this may not be a problem if the circuits you are extending from are 15-amp circuits , but you still must determine what is connected to them.

Old 08-17-13, 08:47 PM
It seems to be connected to all the outlets in my master bedroom, and bathroom. The kitchen appliances has its own separate breaker. Anyways, I connected it to 14-2 wires that has 3 outlet receptacles and temporary switch and light. Everything worked out fine.

Old 08-17-13, 11:44 PM
Just because something works does not necessarily mean that it is fine.

Old 08-18-13, 08:42 PM
It seems to be connected to all the outlets in my master bedroom, and bathroom. The kitchen appliances has its own separate breaker. Anyways, I connected it to 14-2 wires that has 3 outlet receptacles and temporary switch and light. Everything worked out fine.
You connected 14AWG wiring to 12AWG wiring fed from the panel. You connected into one half of a receptacle-made connection. You connected into one half of a multiwire branch circuit. One part of that multiwire branch circuit serves receptacles in your bathroom.

Originally Posted by Furd
Just because something works does not necessarily mean that it is fine.
Would you like to talk about what you can do to make your work both fine and safe?

Old 08-19-13, 10:18 PM
Seems about right Naskkat1. When I went into the attic, there were other MC cable directed/connected to the panel. This one in particular was run under the house/crawlspace. When I turn off the 15A breaker for this outlet, all the outlets in the master bedroom shuts off and the restroom GFCI outlet receptacle. The lights are in a different circuit breaker - 15A as well. I believe what I had done was correct. The single outlet receptacle box allowed the wires to be snugged. I may try to get an outlet extension ring to increase the cu.in in the box since there are about 9 conductor wires inside.