Can a 3 phase motor be converted to single phase

Old 08-18-13, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can a 3 phase motor be converted to single phase

I am wanting to install an industrial type fan into my shop but it currently has a 3 phase motor. Is it possible to convert this motor to single phase? If not, what is involved in obtaining 3 phase wiring for my shop? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-13, 10:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Neither of the options you mentioned are best. Having a motor shop rewind for single phase would almost certainly cost more than a new single phase motor. Having your shop rewired for three phase could cost thousands. Unless you have a second three phase motor lying around to use as a phase converter buying a new phase converter could cost more than a new single phase motor or even a new fan with single phase motor.

Old 08-18-13, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have found static converters that are rated for different hp motors. Is this an option? They are relatively inexpensive and seem easy to install.

Old 08-18-13, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
You can run a three phase motor on single phase by either using a rotary phase converter, or a static state phase converter. The converters need to be sized to HP of the motor. They are relatively easy to install.

Getting three phase to your shop will depend if there is three close by in your neighborhood. For one motor it would likely not be cost effective.