Wiring a switch to power a ceiling fan with light

Old 08-19-13, 11:52 AM
Wiring a switch to power a ceiling fan with light

I am trying to wire a single switch to work for a ceiling fan but im not sure which wires to connect. Coming out of the wall there is 3 black wires 3 white wires and 1 orange wire. Which wires do i hook up to where. I know enough about electrical to know that the black wires are hooked to the switch but idk which ones to hook up and im not sure what the orange wire is for. Please help!!!!

Last edited by PJmax; 08-19-13 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Corrected title.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-13, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Location is very important sometimes in understanding your problem yet you didn't give it. If you are not in the U.S. colors and voltages will be different. Most places in the U.S. use cable not conduit and there are no orange wires. Places like New York and Chicago use conduit. We will assume you have conduit since you have an orange wire.

The orange wire is most likely the switched hot and will go to one terminal of the switch. The blacks are most likely two loads and a line. They most likely will be connected via a pigtail to the other screw of the switch. The three whites will be wire nutted together. Of course this is partly guess because you have only told us half the wiring. The other half is at the switch and could change the answer.

If this is not a single family residence and/or you aren't the owner for reasons of liability you should not be working on the wiring.

Old 08-19-13, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Please complete your user profile to add your location information.

Please describe the wires you see in the ceiling.

Is the ceiling box rated for fan support?

How would you like to control your fan and light? An on/off switch should not be used to control a fan motor unless the pull-chain switch for that fan is set to High and left there.

Old 08-19-13, 08:11 PM
Sorry for not specifying i am in the US. This is my home and the switch is not working with the orange wire hooked to 1the screw and the black wires to the other screw. Is it possible that a new switch is needed?

Old 08-19-13, 08:17 PM
The only wires coming out of the wall are the ones i mentioned in the original post. The wires from the fan are black blue and white. Also, there doesnt seem to be a ground wire for the switch either.

Old 08-19-13, 08:32 PM
Im guessing the ceiling box is ok for a fan cuz thats how it was when i had the home built in 1990. I tried to have someone else put the ceiling fan up for me so im not sure how the wires from the ceiling were connected to the previous ceiling fan.

Old 08-19-13, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
I corrected your original title.

I just started reading this thread.

You have a junction box in the wall that has three black wires, three white wires and an orange wire.

In the ceiling at that box you have what colors ?
Did that switch control that ceiling location originally or is this something new you want to do ?
Do you have a way of testing the black three wire splice to see if they are live ?

Old 08-19-13, 08:51 PM
This switch powered the previous ceiling fan that was up there but i dont lnow how it was hooked up previously because someone else started the project and never finished so i got stuck with the mess. Im not sure what color the wires in the ceiling are. I would have to take the ceiling fan down and look. The fan itself works fine but the switch doesnt control the power. I will get back to u and let u know what color the wires are in the ceiling.

Old 08-19-13, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
It's very possible that the orange goes up to the ceiling but may have been used for the light in the past. That might possibly mean that you would have a black, orange and white at the ceiling. The orange, if there, is probably capped off. The fan may be currently connected to a black which is likely one of the ones in the switch junction box.

Usually you can drop the canopy without dropping the entire fan.