Hot bus or hot breaker?

Old 08-20-13, 08:11 AM
Hot bus or hot breaker?

In a single breaker disconnect panel does it make any difference for safety or NEC whether the service cable from the meter is connected to the bus or breaker? To my mind it doesn't matter but the NEC might have a preference.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-13, 01:05 PM
What is a single breaker disconnect panel and what are you trying to do with the power?

Old 08-20-13, 08:39 PM
Panel on other side of wall from meter. "Do with the power"? Not sure what you mean. From there it feeds the sub panel with all the house fuses.

Old 08-21-13, 01:38 AM
Remember that any circuit breaker that "plugs" onto the bus bars and is only held in place by the panel cover MUST have a "hold down" kit attached to keep the circuit breaker in place when that CB is supplied power from what are normally the load side terminals.

In other words, unless this circuit breaker is bolted to the bus bars you MUST have the auxiliary hold down bracket from the panel manufacturer if you are going to feed the CB from the meter rather than the bus bars.

Old 08-21-13, 07:50 AM
Thanks Furd--I didn't know that. I've seen the retainers on the wall at the big boxes but have never seen any reference to them here or in my wiring book. In this case I wired the meter to the bus lugs.

Old 08-21-13, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
If this is the first panel after the meter and there is no OCPD ahead of it and has spaces for more than six breakers you can't use the lugs.

Old 08-21-13, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The disconnect may have the terminals labeled LINE and LOAD. Line would be the incoming power.

Old 08-22-13, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by pcboss

The disconnect may have the terminals labeled LINE and LOAD. Line would be the incoming power.
I know a circuit breaker functions the same installed either way--but does the NEC have wording that IF MARKED you must connect as indicated?

I had my inspection yesterday and all my new work passed but I failed on several issues with the 30 year old fuse box (sub-panel).

Now my wiring project must wait until AFTER the house is sided--the section where the old meter box resides will remain unfinished