Need Help With Wiring Stuff. Please!

Old 08-21-13, 05:35 PM
Need Help With Wiring Stuff. Please!

White - the ground line (outlet cord) which is connected to the dimmer switch (red) and the transformer (green)
Red - the dimmer switch, connected to the outlet and the transformer
Green - the transformer, connected to the outlet, the dimmer switch, and the neon light (blue)
Blue - the neon light, has two wires (one black, one red). I connected the black wire to the transformer and left the red wire alone
Yellow - two output wires connected to terminals

I plugged it in to an outlet and the neon light didn't light up. So I have no idea if this thing has power (though I assume it does based on the wiring, unless my connections are messed).

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-13, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Are you sure this is a neon light? I have never seen a neon light that can be used with a dimmer.

If the dimmer switch rated to control a transformer (low voltage) assuming it is not neon.

Also it looks like you have both line wires if the transformer connected to the neutral. Is that not true?

Old 08-21-13, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I see your unit. I see the power cord connected to the dimmer which is connected to a transformer. I don't see any tape or wire nuts covering the bare wires. At least they look bare in the picture. Safety first.

What kind of neon light is this ? Maybe a link to a picture or an actual picture.
Was it an actual working unit and something happened to it or is this something you are assembling.

You're talking about neon. Neon runs on high voltage. Usually over 10,000 volts. There is imitation neon that runs on low voltage. That transformer doesn't appear to be a high voltage transformer. You would need both wires from the lamp for it to work. In the diagram below is what your wiring should look like.

Be careful working around connections that aren't insulated.

Name:  HV.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  8.7 KB

Old 08-21-13, 07:37 PM
It's actually an LED, my bad. Does that change anything?

Old 08-21-13, 07:41 PM
It's a LED, sorry. There's a neutral wire on the dimmer, but I left it alone. The transformer has 3 black wires and those are connected to a black wire on the dimmer, the black wire on the LED light, and the ground wire.

Old 08-21-13, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Ok....LED. Heck yeah it makes a difference.

Tough to see in the picture..... look at my drawing..... are there two blacks on one side of the transformer and two blacks and a yellow on the other side.

Is that correct ? If so..... wire it as I've drawn it.

The only problem I can forsee is that we don't know what voltage the transformer is or what voltage the LED needs to work.

Old 08-21-13, 07:59 PM
Okay.

The transformer has two blacks on one side and one black and two yellow on the other (so three black two yellow).

The transformer is 12.6V 2A 60Hz and the LED is 12V.

The way I had it wired looks like your drawing minus the red wire of the LED going to one of the yellow wires (I need both yellow wires for something else).

Old 08-21-13, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
The LED needs two wires connected. You can connect the LED to the transformer and other things also. The LED uses next to no power from the transformer.