is this wire ok for wiring up my dryer?

Old 08-21-13, 09:43 PM
is this wire ok for wiring up my dryer?

i need 30 amp, 240 volt. AFC Cable Systems 50 ft. 10/3 Gauge BX/AC-90 Cable-1408N24-00 at The Home Depot

i would like to use this. i want to secure it across the floor joists on the bottom of my mobile home, from my main breaker panel in the mobile home. makes for easy install, i like that it's armored and i don't need to worry about rodents chewing on it. any reason why this cable wouldn't be appropriate? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-13, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see no issue with it.

I assume the bottom of your mobile home is considered a not-wet area (and therefore doesn't require exterior (UF) wiring. I'm not fully up to speed on mobile home wiring regs... but for a dryer, you should be good to go!

Old 08-22-13, 10:24 AM
I see no issue with it.

I assume the bottom of your mobile home is considered a not-wet area (and therefore doesn't require exterior (UF) wiring. I'm not fully up to speed on mobile home wiring regs... but for a dryer, you should be good to go!
I think under a mobile home would be considerd a damp area. I believe the AC cable would work OK, but would like to hear other opinions.

Old 08-22-13, 05:33 PM
i wonder how you'd find that out. as a practical matter, it's as dry as a bone under there. it's a 24 x 40 and well skirted. i like the idea of armored cable because then i'd never have to worry about anything chewing on it. the alternative would be outdoor cable in pvc.

Old 08-22-13, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
the alternative would be outdoor cable in pvc
Actually no if the conduit was complete from beginning to end best practice would be to use individual wires not cable.

Old 08-22-13, 07:06 PM
as a practical matter, it's as dry as a bone under there. it's a 24 x 40 and well skirted.
If it's outside the envelope of the home it's a damp area unless it is enclosed by a permanent barrier such as a plywood soffit. The skirting, that's a judgement call by the AHJ (skirting isn't permanent). Check with your local inspector and ask if he would class the area under a skirted mobile as damp or dry, but I think the AC cable would be fine in either. That is just my opinion, would still like to hear other opinions.

Old 08-22-13, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
I agree....technically it's considered a wet area because it's outside the shell of the home.

It's one of those gray areas.