odd question (perhaps for utility men?)

Old 08-21-13, 09:47 PM
odd question (perhaps for utility men?)

i have a residence in the country that has 3 phase power that runs to my shop from there i have step down transformers and then a line goes through the building to a panel with 220 single phase for a small house that is attatched to the shop. my lines come to the yard overhead from the supplier then down the pole to a "smart meter" and then underground to the shop. currently i rent the house out with utilities all included. i would like to not do that but am unsure if i could ever get a meter on that house panel as the meter for the supplier is on the outside pole. is something like this possable or am i stuck with the "all in" approach?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-13, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
That could be tricky to answer. You would have to check with your power company to see what their policy is. It shouldn't be a big issue to get a residential single phase meter. Trying to go the other way.....getting three phase power.... would be like pulling teeth.

It would be good to get the house off of the three phase service as I'm sure the electric rate would be much better and the rental would pay actual usage. (A good reason for a renter to use power realistically)

Old 08-22-13, 12:40 AM
There are a lot more questions that could be asked but the simplest thing to do is to contact a customer service ENGINEER (not a plain representative) at the power company and explain what you have and then ask if you could instead have a separately-metered, normal single-phase drop to the house and leave the three-phase to the shop.

Old 08-22-13, 05:43 AM
If the 3 phase step down transformers are upstream of your meter then it is usually trivial for the power company to install a separate meter for the house.

You would have to pay for added infrastructure possibly including a separate single phase pole transformer for such situations as:

1. The 3 phase transformer array is downstream of your shop meter,

2. The power company does a new load analysis and "determines that" the 3 phase transformer array won't support the house,

3. The 3 phase transformer array output is 120/208 volts and the rule for that district is 120/240 volts for the house.

4. Installing the feed bypassing the shop to the house location. (If the house meter is installed near the existing shop meter then you might be doing this part yourself.)