Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

questions about amperage capacity of a panel and also wire

Old 08-21-13, 09:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

let's say i've got a 60 amp breaker box, and i've got 2 breakers on it, which add up to more than 60 amps. the idea, of course, is that i wouldn't be using all three circuits at the same time. is this ok?

in my case, i've got #6 wire, using 4 individual wires run in pvc buried 18 inches. the wire is rate for 65 amps. yet there are no 65 amp breakers... does this mean the largest breaker i can use with this wire is 60 amps? the guy at lowes was telling me i could use a 70 amp main breaker for the subpanel, even though the wire is rated at 65 amps.

the alternative is to use 100 amp aluminum wire, then i could use a 100 amp main breaker on this subpanel, and all the breakers would add up to less than 100 amps, but then the breakers on my main panel at the power pole would add up to more than the 200 amps it is rated for. is this ok?

can the sum of the breakers on a panel add up to more than the main breaker on the panel?

Old 08-21-13, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes.....technically you could use a 70A breaker but I would prefer to use a 60A breaker in that application.

Yes.... the sum of the breakers usually does add up to more than the main breaker rating.

Old 08-21-13, 10:01 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
so it would be ok to use the aluminum 100 amp wire, install a 100 amp breaker at the subpanel, and then use whatever breakers i needed on my subpanel?

i'm using the subpanel for a shed with my water treatment equipment and my water heater, sending treated hot water into my house.

Old 08-21-13, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes....you can use the 100amp aluminum wiring but you need a 100amp breaker at the main panel since that where the power is coming from.

Old 08-22-13, 09:31 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
so it would be ok to use the aluminum 100 amp wire, install a 100 amp breaker at the subpanel, and then use whatever breakers i needed on my subpanel?

i'm using the subpanel for a shed with my water treatment equipment and my water heater, sending treated hot water into my house.
That would be fine as PJ has stated, but I think it's overkill. The full calculated load will tell for sure, but I cannot imagaine a water heater and treatment equipment requiring more than maybe 35 or 40 amps at the most. Can you post load information in watts and voltages?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: