Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing Recessed Lighting - Need To Remove Ceiling Drywall?

Installing Recessed Lighting - Need To Remove Ceiling Drywall?

Old 08-22-13, 07:48 AM
Question Installing Recessed Lighting - Need To Remove Ceiling Drywall?

Hi,

I want to add recessed lighting in my family room that doesn't have any ceiling lights in it.

If I were to hire an electrician, do they just cut the circles into the drywall then fish the wire through, or would they need to take down chunks of the drywall to install the recessed lighting first?

Also, when you hire an electrician do they remove the drywall and then fix it afterwards? Or am I just better off hiring a laborer to fix the drywall issues after the electrician installs the recessed lighting fixtures?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-13, 09:47 AM
Remodeler cans can be installed by cutting the proper diameter holes in the drywall. If there is an attic above, the wiring shouldn't require drywall removal, or minimal removal if any is required. Typically, electricians don't do drywall repairs and painting, but there are some that may.

Halo 6 in. Remodel Insulation Contact Recessed Housing-H7RICT at The Home Depot

Old 08-22-13, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, as CasualJoe said, an electrician will just cut the holes and fish the wires using a super-long flexible drill bit. Sometimes the hardest part is getting the one wire from the ceiling down the wall to the switch. This sometimes requires a small (4"x8") piece of drywall to be cut out. If the electrician is careful, that same piece of drywall can be put back and then taped and spackled.

You'd probably be better off hiring a handyman type person to finish the job by patching and painting the drywall. You probably don't want to pay electrician prices to repair drywall.