Help me with AC (L) & (N) - with photos

Old 08-22-13, 10:10 AM
Help me with AC (L) & (N) - with photos

Hi guys, pls :helpme 2: with AC. I am AC newbie.
I have this battery powered drill and when battery died i removed it, hooked up drill on 14V, 10A power supply and it is working fine as corded drill now.

this is how it looks like now:

Problem is my understanding of this power supply which has specific sockets for (L) and (N):

So i wired everything correctly and engraved (L) and (N) on my plug:

And before plugging it in wall socket i always check it with tester first so i can align L and N correctly.

Some outlets in my house has L on different sizes:

here it is on right side:

here it is on left side:

I would like to know what would happen if i intentionally reversed plug and put it in socket that way, would that damage my power supply? Or would it work fine? I mean for every other AC electric appliance it doesn't matter which way you plug it and it works fine. But this power supply has specific L and N sockets and that's confusing me.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-13, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this sort of like recharging non rechargeable batteries You'll need to know US wiring is much different that it is in Croatia, so very few of us have ever had any experience with it. I would read the owner's manual on the power supply before I went and reversed any wiring.

Old 08-22-13, 09:09 PM
I have a similar (exact?) power supply. Let me pull the cover and do some checking and I'll post back later.

Old 08-23-13, 09:44 PM
I was unable to fully access the back of the printed circuit board because of a screw or two that were behind the label and I didn't want to destroy that label. What I could see was that there is a coupling capacitor on the input wiring, a fuse and from there it went to a surge suppressor.

I think it would not hurt anything to reverse the neutral and line wires but I stop short of saying it is okay. Best to always power it up as indicated. Also, using a polarized three-prong plug with an earth ground as indicated.

Chandler, I have two of these units and neither one came with any kind of instruction or owner's manual.

Old 08-24-13, 01:49 AM
yup, no user manual,
well its not big problem to check each time before plugging in.
thank you for checking yours.

Old 08-24-13, 08:30 AM
And before plugging it in wall socket i always check it with tester first so i can align L and N correctly.

Some outlets in my house has L on different sizes:
I am not familiar with that type of plug in your house. Would it be possible for you to shut down the power to the plugs and turn them or re-wire them so that the hot, neutral and ground are all in the same orientation. You would have to use a voltmeter to see which of the wires is hot.

I did a quick internet search and found a lot of information about your power supply.

Old 08-24-13, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
That is a switching power supply. You will not hurt it if you accidentally plug it in backwards.

Old 08-25-13, 12:36 AM
Rather than harming the power supply I was looking more at personnel safety. The PS is designed to be used on a supply that has one side grounded along with an equipment grounding conductor. Operation with no equipment ground and the ungrounded (hot) conductor on the terminal designated neutral (grounded conductor) MAY under some conditions, probably a fault condition within the power supply unit, be hazardous to anyone touching the case of the unit.