Do LED bulbs ever cause AFCI nuisance tripping?

Old 06-29-13, 01:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do LED bulbs ever cause AFCI nuisance tripping?

I replaced a 50W halogen gu10 bulb in a ceiling fixture on an AFCI-protected circuit with a 5W dimmable LED bulb, and it trips the breaker after about 10 seconds (even after reseating the bulb). Another brand of non-dimmable LED bulb worked fine. (light is not on a dimmer.) Do people think the problem is a defective bulb, or nuisance tripping?

Old 07-22-13, 11:42 AM
J
manufacturer says known issue

they are sending me their 6W bulb that they say doesn't have this issue.

Old 07-22-13, 12:19 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Julie,
I see you didn't get a response but glad the mfg is trying. It sounds like they are familiar with the problem, which is good, as I would not think there should be an issue. Let us know if their replacement performs as it should and in the future if you fail to get a response just bump it up. All are volunteers here so a post can slip by. Your problem is interesting as others may have or had the same problem

Bud

Old 07-22-13, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That's a pretty rare problem. I would expect to see the circuit tripped immediately......not ten seconds later. It may be an issue with the type of transformer used to drop the voltage.

Old 08-23-13, 12:03 AM
J
the other bulb works

Got the other more expensive led gu10 bulb the manufacturer sent which they said shouldn't have the problem, and it works fine.
brave new world of lightbulbs with leds -- i never thought of light bulbs as having the potential to trip a breaker, but of course the bulbs i grew up with didn't have their own circuitry!

Old 08-23-13, 12:17 AM
J
maybe it was less than 10 seconds, but there was definitely a delay, so that i had time to admire the new bulb before everything went dark

Old 08-23-13, 10:35 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
So it's resolved now? Great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: