Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

New exterior circuit to power 2 fountains, patio light and sump pump

Old 08-23-13, 10:46 PM

Want to power 2 water fountains, patio light and a sump pump.

Two fountains are on the same side of the backyard, one close to the house, the other out in the yard about 15 feet away.

Porch light and sump pump are similarly spaced on the other side of the backyard.

I know I need to dig a 18" trench for one fountain and the sump pump box. What I need to know is if all this can be wired on one new circuit?

I do have an exterior outlet that powers our tankless water heater on the side where the porch light and pump would be. But not sure if I can tap this for power.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-13, 02:10 AM
Group Moderator
I do have an exterior outlet that powers our tankless water heater on the side where the porch light and pump would be.
No. The water heater is probably the wrong voltage, wrong amperage, and is a dedicated circuit. Without knowing the amps of what you want to run it is impossible to say if one circuit will be enough.

Old 04-02-15, 09:32 PM
Finally got around to looking up the specs on the tankless water heater.

Electrical supply:

120 VAC/60Hz

uses 6.2w/0.05 A to operate.

Outlet is on a 20 amp circuit that powers a garage with one overhead light and garage door opener.

I want to convert the single outlet to a double outlet to run low voltage wiring to light a pathway about 10 feet away.

I had an electrician here for something else and he said the water heater requires very little power to operate.

I am thinking this would be okay.

I think I need to start a new thread. Will do that now.

Last edited by Stumped1; 04-02-15 at 10:23 PM.