OMG what's an easy way to strip 6-3 w/gnd UF wire?

Old 08-24-13, 09:18 AM
OMG what's an easy way to strip 6-3 w/gnd UF wire?

Hi I need to strip some 6-3 UF wire. I't doesn't look easy to do and not damage the insulation. It's the Blk/Red/Wht and gnd wires in a flat gray cable. 60 Amp breaker from Garage to Workshop.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-13, 12:37 PM
There is NO easy way to strip type UF cable. I detest UF for this very reason.

Old 08-24-13, 12:47 PM
I just want to highlight something that was already said here:
There is NO easy way to strip type UF cable. I detest UF for this very reason.

Old 08-24-13, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
I actually whittle it on the end after dissecting it into its component wires. Just leave a bit of the outer covering on the wire, better than try to take it all off and slicing the insulation on the wire. Where the ground wire is I actually slit it down to the bare wire and pull the ground wire out. The rest i just cut the outer covering and leave it on. Wasn't going to post this at first because I was a bit embarrassed how I do it. I felt sure the pros had an easy method.

Old 08-24-13, 01:24 PM
You need a VERY sharp knife and you need to cut very carefully and slowly. Thick leather gloves help to prevent slicing your fingers when the knife slips. Ray's method is good.

Old 08-24-13, 01:39 PM
Ray's method is good. I also use the trick he uses on the ground wire on the insulated wires as well. That is, I cut a slit through the rubber sheath along the length of each wire, starting maybe 1/4" further back than where I want the sheath to end. I peel the wires out through those slits and use my dykes or sidecutters to cut the sheath where I want it, then I straighten the conductors before feeding them into the enclosure.

I use a utility (razor) knife to do this.

Old 08-24-13, 02:16 PM
Hi I need to strip some 6-3 UF wire. I't doesn't look easy to do and not damage the insulation. It's the Blk/Red/Wht and gnd wires in a flat gray cable. 60 Amp breaker from Garage to Workshop.
Just curious, did you direct burial your UF cable? Please don't tell me you pulled it through conduit.

Old 08-24-13, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Nash wrote:
I use a utility (razor) knife to do this.
As do I and put in a new blade before starting.

To me a razor knife is a box cutter. A handle for a single edge razor blade. I'm sure that would work well also but probably more difficult to control.

Old 08-24-13, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The warmer the cable is the easier it is to strip. I slide a utility blade alongside the conductor. I have heard some use a vegetable peeler.

Old 08-24-13, 07:28 PM
CJoe, I'm working on an existing feeder line. This is a detached 24x44 workshop about 100 ft from the sub panel in my garage. There is a sch 40 1 1/2" conduit rising through the sole plate. I can't imagine anybody pulling 6-3 UF cable through 1 1/2 plastic conduit though. Maybe a bulldozer and a titanium/carbon fiber fish line could do it. lol

Thanks for all the responses. I'm whittling away, very carefully. now where'd i put those leather gloves.

Old 08-25-13, 10:11 PM
Got it done today; however, the sheathing and insulation sports blood stains. I lost some battles but won the war. 6-3 UF is nothing to scuff at. Damn difficult to strip.

Old 08-25-13, 11:22 PM
Glad you got it done, and thanks for letting us know. The blood you left on the battlefield is the exact reason most of us don't install the stuff.

Sorry you had to fight it on an existing install. At least you made it to beer:30 bloofy but unbowed.

Old 08-26-13, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Once had a utility knife attack my belly. Not doing UF as I remember but things are a bit foggy. Left a Law and Order worthy trail of blood from where I was working to my van. After the blood soaked through the second set of paper towels and duct tape in to my spare shirt I gave up and went home for the day. (Hard to concentrate on work dripping blood.) The owner came by the house after she got off work to check how the job was going. Slightly freaked out when she saw the blood trail.